Recommend a free downloadable anti virus programme?

Ash

After a recommendation here on AAM, I got a free anti virus programme for one year EZarmour from etrust. I had no problems with it but it is about to expire.
I've seen some other free anti virus programmes but they are 30 day free trials. Can anyone recommend another good antivirus package which is available free for a year?
Many thanks.

AVG from [broken link removed] - a lot of people use it and swear by it - I use it and find it better than norton anti-virus

See [broken link removed] which also recommends AVG and a few others. I've used AVG for about a year and a half and it's excellent and I would definitely recommend it.

Use AVG also but also recommend Microsoft Antispyware if you're running XP and the Google Toolbar.

AVG while very good and not nearly the drain on resourses that Norton is, is not adequate when it comes to spyware and hijacks

AVG is a virus scanner. MS AntiSpyware is a spyware scanner. They are different beasts doing largely different jobs. But I agree with running both of them or at least some virus scanner and some spyware scanner (as well as a firewall). The link that I posted above also recommends other PC protection tools that don't fall into these two categories.