Recommend a Foreign Holiday for an Adult and Teenager

Cashstrapped

My sister is hitting the big 40 this year and as a pressie the family would like to book her a short break of 3 or 4 nights somewhere abroad for her and her 13 yr old daughter, they have only travelled to the UK previously. We had hoped to book NewYork but the flights and accom. costs are way beyond our expectations even to book it for 6 months down the line.

The main criteria would be that it would be somewhere that would be suitable for both of them, relatively cheap to eat out etc. and preferably somewhere that they could both shop till they dropped. I have read that Madrid seems to be a good spot when I carried out a search on previous threads but unfortunately I'm not that well travelled myself so I am not sure if it would be suitable for a teenager. All suggestions welcome, thanks

Barcelona for shopping!

Paris or Berlin for sightseeing. Berlin might be very interesting for the 13 yr old especially if she studies history.

I'd go back to Paris tomorrow just for the shopping!! There's a huge shopping centre along with designer outlet shops by the dozen right next to Euro Disney. Food was cheap enough outside Disney too.

That said..I've never been to Barcelona..curious now!

Canary islands, duty free islands so shopping is great, food is very cheap - but there is a lack of culture so only sunning yourself and shopping to choose from.
Prague is full of culture, as is Rome, and both are beautiful, prague cheaper for eating than rome, but shopping is reasonable enough in either, great markets in rome.
havent been to barcelona, but judging by posts here should try it.

No 1 Barcelona - great food, shopping, art, architecture, plenty to see and do, a terrific buzz, with the added bonus of being on the sea.

No 2 Prague - has all the above except the sea.

Both are easy to get around.

Wow, it's great to get such a consenus on Barcelona as it is one of the many places she said she would like to visit some day.

Can I be cheeky now and ask for some Hotel recommendations so we can go about making the booking. Thanks again.

Barcelona! Myself and 14 year old daughter are just back. We had 6 days there, plenty to see and do. Shopping, art gallery, museum, Monjuic castle, Gaudi architecture, Aquarium and the most wonderful Zoo I have ever visited. Plenty of interesting shops and if you like fish and seafood its a dream.
We stayed at the Silken Gran Havana, very central and very nice 4 star. It cost about E860 for six nights. (Read reviews on ).
It is such an easy city to get around, everything not too far from the next, Metro very usable, people very nice and no bad experience whatsoever of the whole holiday. My daughter loved it and wants to know when we can go back!!!

Back