Recommend a filing system

censuspro

I’m currently changing from a lateral filing system as the hanging files get too damaged and collapse from the slightest bit of weight, also have to hand write the labels as there is no printing template. They also just tend to look bad because the files are damaged and don’t hang properly on the rails.

Anyone here have any recommendations or can provide any links?

I don't - I just file the scanned version pdf in the same place that I'd file the other relevant electronic docs.

But document management software can be useful, depending on the complexity of the business.

I'm not challenging you - but I'm just wondering what you do need to keep hard copies of, and why?

Just for compliance. Signed letter of engagement, signed accounts, sigend tax returns.

I don't - I just file the scanned version pdf in the same place that I'd file the other relevant electronic docs.

This is excellent advice. I use an inexpensive but very useful program called File Locator Pro to track such files.

Just for compliance. Signed letter of engagement, signed accounts, sigend tax returns.

Why not scan these as above and keep originals in chronological order in 'general' (ie not client-specific) box files?

Again, I'm not challenging you, but compliance with what?

The [broken link removed] Section 9 states that "Information (including information incorporated by reference) shall not be denied legal effect, validity or enforceability solely on the grounds that it is wholly or partly in electronic form, whether as an electronic communication or otherwise."

So wouldn't your electronic version of these documents be just as valid as the paper ones?

There can indeed be a need (albeit annoying) to keep hard copies.

For one, in relation to agreements/contracts, it can depend on the jurisdiction applied and the interpretation of what would be deemed as valid documentation from the relevant courts. For example, if Swiss Law applied, then then the Irish Electronic Commerce Act would not be applicable.

Also, there are many companies that have corporate governance policies which transcend any one national jurisdiction (SOX compliance, for example, can relate to US-listed public companies. However, as you can see from this discussion, even though SOX does not call for hard copies, many audit firms do).

The idea about a document management system is useful; but it may be required under the relevant audit or compliance policy of the organisation to still retain hard copies. In such an instance, perhaps a document management system could be used and the hard copies could be archived off-site with a third party storage provider.

I think a joint approach is probably best. If you combine a decent scanner (with the ability to email your file) with evernote (www.evernote.com a free,amazing piece of software) you can scan in all your files and then file the hard copies away in a plastic container. You won't need to go to the hard copies but they will be there in storage if you need them. Evernote will allow you connect to your files from all media types (PC, smartphone etc.)

Can you recommend a decent scanner? The paper feed on my current scanner gets jammed alot and other scanners I've had don't have great software. Ideally I'd like an all-in-one scanner, fax, copier and printer.

Any suggestions?

Bren, send me a text or a email on saturday and I'll send you the details of the one in the office where I'll be working.

I won't have access to this site