Recommend a drainage company

dublady

I have a blocked drain in the back garden (a lot of horrible mess pouring out onto the patio......not a pretty sight or smell...yeuch!!!)

Can someone please recommend a good Drainage company that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks

dublady.....dublin I assume.... what part (for those who can recommend).

There is normally a min charge for anyone who comes out anyway...€90 maybe. So be prepared.

ninsaga

Thanks for the fast reply. Dublin 11. Should I just ring Dynorod in the morning?

...unless you are happy with the situation (which I would think not!), then give em a call...they are a reputable enough company & for something like this you don't want to get a bunch cowboys in.

ninsaga

ninsaga said:
...for something like this you don't want to get a bunch cowboys in.
That's for sure. Recently had the mispleasure of dealing with a pair of local 'Drain Doctors' who overcharged, were rude to my wife, and demanded to be paid in cash...

Two weeks later the same drain backed up and I had to do it myself — the wife wouldn't let me call them back, as I wanted to. When I opened up the drains I was appalled at the 'job' they'd half-done.

Be prepared to cough up the euros for this service whoever you get.....

I called Dynorod day before Xmas eve last year - over €200 call out they quoted plus double time after - went to Woodies bought rods for 20quid and did it myself with garden hose on Xmas eve morning...(sad I know)...... not saying they wouldnt do a good job but €€€

major drain problems can drag on but many are not so serious - try a bit of investigation first

nasty job I agree but i have employed many drain-rodders for clients as part of my profession and you do end up with a large bill in every case almost even if its a trivial problem

M

question to anyone - how much would you want to get rid of someone elses s-h-i-t? exactly! it is not the nicest of jobs and do get a reputable company to do the work and make sure to check the drains after they have finished, ask them to show you the water draining away to the next manhole. Flush toilet paper and watch it drain away.
Regards,
Steve

Some local authorities also provide this service, often for a nominal fee. If its a combined drain thats blocked/causing problems and you are the person with the manhole in the garden, then make sure you get the neighbours to cough up too. The drainage company/local authority should advise which houses are connected to the combined drain. Its a while since I've had any dealings with drains (thank God) so I'm not sure what you would do if you lived in an apt. or in a development not taken in charge by the L.A. (i.e. run by a management company). Good call buying the rods yourself though - if the drains in your area are problematic, you will save yourself a fortune in €€€.

Be very careful when using rods on your drains - the most you should connect are 2 - after that you run the risk of losing several rods and/or plungers down there and turning the quick 15min job into 2-3 hours work!

When putting in rods keep twisting in a clockwise direction (keep tightening the rods) Otherwise you lose some and have to dig up the pipe to find them again.

Thanks for all replies. Dynorod arrived and job completed after 5 minutes. I was charged €136.20 (inc VAT)........OUCH!!! It was only my drain that was blocked so I couldn't ask the neighbours to cough up this time. If the problem recurs within 28 days, they'll come back and fix it again for free.

My late hubby used to fix the drains when we had occasional problems in the past but I haven't a clue where he kept the rods. I'll definitely be buying a set of rods soon and asking my brother-in-law (who has a stronger stomach than I do) to help if it happens again!!

A word of warning to people with kids. Make sure they don't use half the toilet roll when they use the bathroom and also discard facial wipes in a bin - not down the loo!!!

tradesmen said:
...how much would you want to get rid of someone elses s-h-i-t?
It would be a bit 'twee' of me to edit this particular 'profanity'... but spare a thought for childminders!
dublady said:
€136.20 (inc VAT) [...] If the problem recurs within 28 days, they'll come back and fix it again for free.
That's not unreasonable, I'd venture... The guys who'll do it for €80/€90 don't tend to offer any such 'after-sale customer care'.