Recommend a central heating thermostat.

contractor

I'm tired of constantly adjusting the central heating thermostat. And it usually doesn't cut out unless I give it a little tweak. I'm looking for something smart like in this article:

[broken link removed]

Any recommendations?

Programmable stats are teh way to go. One of the best IMO programmable stats is one of the range from http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk

See this one in particular
http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/Programmable-Thermostat-and-Hot-water-Heatmiser-PRT-HW-p-16138.html

If you position that correctly and have thermostatic rad valves you would have full control from one small device. It is also relatively easy for an electrican to wire up.

Nice features

Bright screen
· Optimum Start - set temp at 20 for the morning at 8 and the heating will come on intelligently to get the temp to that point at 8. You no longer have to allow for cold mornings.
Output delay – this saves a small amount of fuel by not constantly switching on and off your burner. It will delay up to 30 minutes so that you get a more efficient and longer run the next time it comes on.
· 5/2 day Heating Program
· 5/2 day Hot water Program
· Up to 4 changes in room temperature during the day. Select 19 in morning and 21 for the evening. No need to fiddle with it after that.
· Remote control 20 euro

Just on the off chance someone might know, is it possible to move a room onto a different circuit. I currently have 2 room thermostats, one for the bedrooms and one for the rest of the house. One of the bedrooms is an office/study, I'd love to move this onto the rest of house circuit. I'm guessing its a valve somewhere?

Unless you are lucky and the office/study is on a circuit of it's own (not usually) it can be expensive. Find the valves (white? square boxes) that the thermostats open and see where the flow from that goes. You looking for a branch to 1/2" pipes.

It sounds like you have two circuits on a type of ring circuit so it's all or nothing on the circuit.

CM Zone is ideal where you would like individual radiator control. It can run into a lot of money if your pipe work is awkard though. CM devices fit on each rad and open and close depending on the demand.

Good example see and

its a modern house so they're neatly attached to the pipes leading into the tank in the hotpress. The pipes disappear into the wall so don't know about following them! It's a job for a plumber me thinks.

Will the valves I have work with any thermostat or would I possible need to replace them too? The valves are made by Drayton.

they're neatly attached to the pipes leading into the tank in the hotpress. The pipes disappear into the wall so don't know about following them! It's a job for a plumber me thinks.

If you have ten rads and 10 pipes (or twenty) on show in the hot press you might be in luck. You could take the one for the study off the bedroom circuit and attach it to a valve and thermostat of its own.

Will the valves I have work with any thermostat or would I possible need to replace them too? The valves are made by Drayton.

Zone valve are pretty standard so they will work with any thermostat, it's just a matter of getting the wiring right and having access to the pipe work in the hot press. Some electricians freak out when you say you have zone valves with end switches.

The Honeywell stats are very good and easy to use, but are expensive. I should know, I work for them and even with my company discount, it still works out more expensive than one over the shelf.

The advantage teh Honeywell models have over every other one on the market is the on/off times can be set to the minute.

All the rest are on the hour or half hour which is sufficient.

I recently bought a few Flash thermostats. Got them cheap and they are perfect. Even have a holiday mode for up to 99 days.

Finally getting around to ordering the heatmiser thermostats. One thing that bugging me is this: at the moment the timer is done by the main control box, now heatmiser recommend to set this to constant and use the heatmiser to control the CH and HW. Now my current thermostats do not control the hot water, they simply turn the radiator zone on/off. How can I tell if I have the correct wiring to control the HW from one of these points? I'm guessing I'll need an extra wire to do this am I correct?

Ahhhh my post got lost on submit due to doggy connection.

You can leave your hot water as is but if you wanted to run it off one of the stats you need a fourth wire there allright.

Don’t worry about that mention of leaving the boiler on constant, they are talking about gas boilers which have a built in clock.

Get someone to look at your hotpress (or figure it out yourself) to see if you can isolate the study and move it to the living circuit. That way you can just fit a TRV on the rad and turn it on without heating the other beds.