Recommend a car...

Jolly Man

Right, was left go from work and lost the company car and diesel card, im now commuting from waterford to carlow everyday for work and spending on average €120 a week on petrol. I need to get a diesel car, my brother is currently in england and has his irish skoda octavia 1.9tdi with him, it has 82k miles on it and he is trying to sell in to me for €4,500, my question is, would i get much better in a diesel car/car van for €4,500 or is this a good deal.

What year is the Octavia and have the timing belt / water-pump service been done done?

Sounds a bit high. What year is it?

Check carzone.ie for comparison.

Sorry folks its a 03, timing belt not done as far as i know, is being NCT'd here on saturday and he will be driving it back to england if i decide against it

timing belt & water pump should have been done around the 60k mile mark (cost is around 400).

3000-3500 sounds about right.

[broken link removed] anyone recommend these vans?

for 03 octavias on car zone the cost is €5,200 for the cheapest, they go upwards from there.

[broken link removed] anyone recommend these vans?

for 03 octavias on car zone the cost is €5,200 for the cheapest, they go upwards from there.

They are "asking" prices, you will always get them for less. And in these days a lot less.

God looks like its just as well i asked ye so, thought it was a bargin... a search on carzone for diesels at that value return a lot of citroens, seats the odd focus saloon old volvos s80's and the odd saab, what is best of this bunch reliabilty wise and fuel econmy? Any views on the xsara van, have been told they can e terrible, honest John does not sem to rate them too highly.

[broken link removed] what about this?

[broken link removed] what about this?
Overpriced and wouldn't buy it anyway.

I'd go for Skoda / Seat diesel as they are all VW bits anyway (engines, gearboxes, brakes, steering, suspension, electrics, etc.)

Volvo = Ford
Saab = Opel / Vauxhall
Citroen = Peugeot (potential reliability problems whichever the badge)

What's your own petrol yoke? Any chance your brother would take it off your hands going back to England?

Ok what kinda cars would you look at math?

[broken link removed] this car scam is up on car zone again, the guy with the dead brother

Octavia diesel is a good buy (I have one). Very fuel efficient and reliable. A solid car.

82k miles is not big for a diesel, they will go to 200+ if you mind them, service them regularly.

As there anything you particularly wouldn't go for?

For 4.5K you should be able to get an 99/00ish Honda Accord - very reliable and particularly good diesels.

Nothing particulary that i would not go for, as long as it is spacious. The company car i had was an o6 octavia and it was great to go 48-50mpg no problem

[broken link removed] something like this, is this better than the brothers octavia a year older and more mileage, how reliable is it buying from a private seller?

[broken link removed] what if i stretch my budget to this?

... what if i stretch my budget to this?
I don't understand - you wanted to buy your brother's diesel for economy, now you list a 2.0 petrol car and all you seem interested in doing is highlighting a variety of cars on that web-site - are you now selling cars?

no no sorry, thought that was diesel :(:eek:

Just searching under diesel cars, it came up knew that was too good to be true. I have no idea about cars by the way folks.

Back