Recommend a car for 5K

losttheplot

Anyone any recommendations for a car, 1.3 to 1.6, budget is about 5000. Any ideas what would be best value for money in this price range?

are you going to do a lot of mileage? does it need to look good for worK?

Mileage would be about 10-12,000 a year, as for looks, doesn't really matter (except I don't like Puntos or micras). Was looking at a Clio - they don't seem to bad.

Audi A3 1.6 -Best advice I ever got. The car is super reliable and servicing costs nothing. Only catch is that it is a little fond of petrol.

Anyone any recommendations for a car, 1.3 to 1.6, budget is about 5000. Any ideas what would be best value for money in this price range?

Is year a problem?

You could get a VW Golf 1.4 or 1.6 3 or 4 door in 98 to 00 reg for that.

If you shop around.

try

Is year a problem?

Are people still easily embarassed by having "old" reg plates or have we not gotten over that as a nation? Especially seeing as Ireland seems to be the only country in the world where a motor industry lobby group was successful in having "timed" plates introduced?

year seems to be a problem with most people but if you dont care there are some fantastic older cars out there at great money.

Thanks for the suggestions. Year doesn't bother me too much. I've owned 3 cars so since 2002. A 1990, a 94 and then last year splahed out on a 00 - real extravagance. I've never spent more than 3500 so spending 5000 on a car is really splashing out.

I can't believe how obsessed some people are about the year. A major coup for the motor industry getting year plates. I'm prepared to let someone else take the big depreciation hit and pick up their castoffs - not sure if I'm practical or just mean!

An Audi might be a bit too heavy on juice but I'll definetly check out the Hondas.

Thanks

AFAIK the major spec difference is in the engine - I think standard Jap Civic 1.5 is non-Vtec and has about 100bhp as opposed to 114 for UK/Irish ilS version. But you might also be correct about the immob./ABS etc too.

I see nothing wrong with buying older cars...as long as you understand two important things.

1) The majority of older cars are NOT safe. Their NCAP ratings would be 1 or even less. This means if you're in a crash you're toast.

2) Older cars will have a lot more wear and tear. Won't matter as much on something like a Honda Cvic as they were built to outlive cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust

I see nothing wrong with buying older cars...as long as you understand two important things.

1) The majority of older cars are NOT safe. Their NCAP ratings would be 1 or even less. This means if you're in a crash you're toast.

em I don't about that - I drive a 99 megane and it has a 4 star rating (bought 3 years ago for 4500 - was a 100k'er).

as far as safety goes it is imperitave to make sure that the car has not been in any major sort of shunt i.e. look out for structual damage.

There can be good deals got for newer cars if you are prepared to drive a car with higher miles.

Well...I was referring to older than 99 to be honest...but even some Mercs from that era had poor NCAP ratings.

Pedestrian ratings are not good...even for that Megane.

Regards the higher mileage newer car...that's an excellent point. Bargains to be found if mileage isn't a concern...ie selling on.