Recommend a car - 6k budget

Plek Trum

Hi all,

going to bite the bullet and change my existing car which, unfortunately, is costing a silly amount of money to run. Looking for a 1.4 or similar, good reputation, low mileage and nice 'look' (I know, I know, I'm a girl, these things matter :rolleyes:)

I was thinking of:

VW GOLF (2006 > )
OPEL ASTRA GTC Sxi (2006 >)

My trade in is:
2000 BMW 316iSE , 110k miles. Very good condition (no kids, no pets)

I drive on average per week 154 miles.
Hoping for lower tax, lower running costs and lower maintenance.

What do you think of the above choices? I know I'll be lucky to get much off on a trade-in but hoping that I might get in around 6k budget.

Anyother cars worth considering that might suit?

All ideas and suggestions appreciated - Many thanks in advance! :)

I drive an astra (2005) and its given me no problems, I think it looks great and really like it!
Other options I considered when looking for a car around 6k / 1.4l engine last year were:
Golf / Mini / Corolla (Hatchback) / Civic / Mazda 3

The minis that I saw for sale at the time all had very high mileage/ were expensive / were mainly 1.6l engines so that ruled out the Mini.

With petrol prices the way they are, maybe considering a 1.2l engine is a good idea.

Thanks - my first two cars were both Opel and I never had any problems at all (the BMW was impulse purchase of my life - lesson learned and not to be repeated!)

I'll stay away from Mini's - BMW link, reflected in service prices for parts etc.

At the moment its the 2 cars mentioned above (Astra, Golf) I think. 1.2 may be a step too small after the BMW but its something worth considering I guess, thanks for that.

What would be a reaslitic trade in / discount I could expect against the BMW (if any?) Its in great condition, spotless inside...

You could consider the Skoda Octavia or Honda Civic (saloon is a lovely car and really reliable). Both of these come in 1.4, parts are readily available and fairly cheap from all local motor factors.

Thanks MFK - had thought pf the Skoda alright but its a little large for me now, planning on a smaller, nippy car for short commutes.

I did see a 2007 Peugeot 307 (design model), 20k miles only for 5,500. (alloys, fogs etc, immaculate interior, one owner, elderly gentleman)

Any thoughts??...

IMO if looking for something with a nice look get VW Golf off your list immediately. Every 2nd person has one, very boring choice if interested in style.

I really like the GTC Astra, saw one in black and one in red recently, both looked immaculate.

Renault probably isnt the first stop for reliability, but again for style purposes I think the 307CC (convertible) has a nice look (I dont know what you mean by design model).

I'd agree with you re: Octavia and Civic, both are quite large and too family-esque. Hatchback Civic instead maybe?

Though again not know for reliability, what about an Alfa Romeo GT, they're about 6K for a 2006 model and definitely have a "look". User tosullivan on here has owned one and was quite helpful when I was considering buying one of them.

are the 2006 1.4 diesel corollas good value?? but you may not want to be seen in one. they must be v efficient and reliable...

Thanks for replies - yes, my 'eye' is drawn to Astra GRC Sxi models and some are within budget, will be viewing one this week all going well.

I saw the Peugeot 307 (d'sign) model and was impressed with the space inside. Might not be exactly the most exciting looking car, but nice features and its a bit of a bargain to be honest. Sensible head says take value over appearance!

Corolla's - possibly within budget but not really want I'm after. Live in rural area and every second car is a carolla - workhorse of a car but I see too many.

Alfa Romeo -dont know much about them and might be a step too far.

Trying to keep my priorities straight on this - low tax, low insurance, low miles, low service costs.. but still have a nice looking car ;)

Plek Trum, have you looked at a Fiests or a Focus?
Ford's are reliable and servicing and parts arre cheap though they are hardly "cutting edge" from a design perspective.

Anyone who loves cars owns at least one Alfa in their life. Sometimes they can be unreliable in terms of little niggles but fun drive and definitely different. Probably loads of people will argue otherwise but I loved mine and can't wait to get another one at some point.

A lot of people (ie My Dad and brother-in-law) are big fans of a potential Ford Focus purchase. I guess that they certainly do tick alot of my requirements and I shouldnt discount them solelyl based on shape. My partner has a 2008 Mondeo and its a really lovely drive. Food for thought...

I drove a new Focus diesel from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and back again the week before last. I was very impressed. I averaged 52mpg and I wasn’t trying to be fuel efficient.

Happy owner of an Alfa GT for a few years. You could pick up an 06 model for 6k. No trouble with it and definately is a looker.

What about the Hyundai Coupe either - have heard good reports about them. Or a Mazda RX8 - though these are definately hard on juice (and oil).

Would definatly enjoy a Mazda RX8 but I think my partner and family would have a fit if they saw me driving that into the driveway! I'm changing to get more 'practical'.. ;)

I own an RX8....IMO its very practical due to combination of four seats with the looks of a sports car. Admittedly boot space is fairly small.

Its quite heavy on petrol (absoluete max 25MPG, low as 12 around town). Oil consumption is much less of an issue than people make out, believe me the petrol costs will drawf it!

IMO I wouldnt recommend one unless you like looking under the bonnet and spending money on servicing.

Having said that its awesome fun to drive as you can thrash it up to 10K RPMs and it'll thank you for it. I recently had mine at Mondello and had a ball.

Back