Recommend a Book

Newbie!

I've just run out of books to read and I cant find the old thread with book recommendations so I'm just looking for some thoughts from other posters.

I don't like chick-lit and in this case I don't want non fiction. Previous books that I've loved for A thousand Splendid Suns or the Bookseller of Kabul and although they're not particularly good books, I love the pageturner quality of crime or suspense like Dan Brown. Any thoughts?

The hunger games trilogy are pretty good, and I just finished one called Before I go to Sleep by SJ watson (thriller) that was good. I can also recommend the room by Emma O'Donoghue

If you haven't read the Game of Thrones series yet there's enough there to keep you going for quite a while! :) Also the Stieg Larsson trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) is excellent.

second for the Stieg Larsson trilogy - great read, even if you have seen the films... Also, a book called "Daddy" by Loup Durand... really enjoyed that book...

If you haven't read the Game of Thrones series yet there's enough there to keep you going for quite a while! :) Also the Stieg Larsson trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) is excellent.

Both excellent recommendations. Also the Wheel of Time series. Another good long book it's A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. Jodi Picault (sp?) Interesting reads though a bit obviously moralising. Penny Vincenzi, popular fiction, not quite chick lit, the trilogy I enjoyed. Kate Mosse, Labyrinth - Dan Brown esque but better written. Patrick O Brian, historical sea-faring adventure - I love these. PD James, literary whodunnits. Robert Harris political thrillers. James Clavell, particularly Shogun but others good too, Taipan I think it's another title. Yer man who wrote those Jason Bourne books... Robert Ludlum? Niall Williams, Four Letters of Love (not sure if this is title). William Trevor, Kate Morton. John Le Carre. Hmmm. There's a book called The Modern Library, think Colm Toibin one of the authors, I usually look for something in that if I'm in a serious reading mood.

anything by Michael Connelly, John Connelly, Kurt Coban, I have read them all, really excellent.. crime/mystery/suspense etc.. Peter James, Mo Hyder,Nikki French, Mark Billingham.. all of these in a series so plenty to keep you going.

Also the Gone Series by Michael Grant in addition to almost all of the above!

The Painted Man - check out the reviews on Amazon, a great read.

Game of Thrones series is the best consistently good series Ive read in a long time. Must try out the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - been on my shelf years and havent opened it yet, think the cover puts me off.

Given the books you've mentioned, you might like Mitch Albom's books.

You don't mention whether you read sci-fi or fantasy.

I gave up on the wheel of time. I didn't have the stamina. I also found it was starting to get very disjointed, with too many disparate story lines.

If you like the Patrick O'Brian series, you should try the Hornblower series by CS Forester. he also wrote an excellent book, later made into a film, called "Brown on Resolution".

Last edited:
Room by Emma O'Donoghue is an excellent read as is The Memory Keeper's Daughter and The Help ( made into a film ). Any book by Joanne Harris is usually good and The Lollipop Shoes is great if you like books based around characters. I've also enjoyed the Steig Larson trilogy.

Thanks for the replies. I've read the Stieg Larsson trilogy but they are perfect holiday books.

Shawady, I think I'll save Ulysses for another day! Seagull, I hate Sci fri...I would generally have also said I hate fantasy but have read a few fantasy books and sort of enjoyed the esacpism!

Will check out some of the other suggestions tomorrow.

I gave up on the wheel of time. I didn't have the stamina. I also found it was starting to get very disjointed, with too many disparate story lines.

Same here, couldnt get into it at all. I was disappointed because I need a new series to get my teeth into!

If you read and liked The Book Thief you should like The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I loved it.

For those that read (and loved) the Stieg Larsson trilogy, have any of read anything by Jo Nesbo? I see a lot of quotes comparing the two so just wondering if they are in the same league.

Back