Recommend a 4gb mp3 player?

Omega

The more I look, the more confused it gets.....
I'm looking for a 4gb player with long a playing time and rechargeable battery. Can't decide between a refurbished ipod for about e130 and a Sandisk e260 for about e145. Also, are there implications when buying from USA/UK -or are you better off paying more and buying in Ireland? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I personally favour the iPods in terms of style, user experience, accessories, PC/Mac software (iTunes).

Having said that, they are expensive.

If money is tight, I would buy a new product i.e. the Sandisk over a refurbed version of a more expensive one.

Or else just buy the 2GB nano for €260?

If in the States then definitely buy it over there instead.

The Creative Zen V Plus is also an option.

I like the Nano's but the way its so easily scratched would put me off. I usually prefer the SQ on players other than the iPod too.

I've just realized that my pc has Windows 2000 and not XP - is this a problem for loading files to mp3 players?

Hi Omega,
I personally am a big fan of the iPods, but I don't think that I would ever buy a refurbished one - better off spending the money on a new "cheaper" MP3 player. I returned my first iPod to apple, which they replaced with a refurbished one and it gave in within 6 months (and the warrenty was gone at that stage). I would recommend the Creative V plus - very good (and has a radio) - if it's possible for you to get it from the US you can get the 4Gb one for $150 (great value considering the current exchange rates) (and to answer you question about buying in the US and UK - nope there will be no problems as they are now sold only with a USB cable (ie you are expected to charge off laptop/pc - but you can buy a charger here in Ireland for it). I saw that Sony have a new 4gb one out at the moment - but don't know what it's like.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've had a look at the Creative range on Pixmania.com and they all seem to require the XP operating system (I've got W/2000) - is this a real problem or are there drivers available? Thanks.

Tesco are selling cheap 256mb ones for €13 or so... at that price you could buy a few of them!

They're pretty bog standard but do the job.

The Creative ZEN V and ZEN V Plus will not work in 2000 or earlier Windows versions......basically Creative do two types of MP3 player, Mass Storage Class (MuVo and ZEN Stone) and MTP/PlaysForSure (ZEN V, V Plus) and the MTP versions need drivers built into XP and Vista to function.