Recipe suggestions for weekday dinners

ney001

Hi Guys

I am looking for some suggestions/recipes for mid week dinners for two working people. I am bored with the current meals I cook i.e lasagne, spaghetti, chicken with veg etc. I am looking for some ideas for meals - they need to be fairly quick i.e no crazy prep time on them as I don't want to be stuck cooking for ages the minute I get in from work and also need to be fairly healthy. My problem is that OH hates stirfry etc so I am at a bit of a loss as to how to vary the menu. Any suggestions?

Get a copy of Nigel Slater's "The 30-minute Cook". Does exactly what it says on the tin and most of the meals are for 2 people.

The recipes are really tasty and good for following seasonal variations.

Yes, I find I trot out the same recipes over and over also.

Heres an example of what I make for the quick/easy one:
Steak/Salad/Garlic Bread - summer
Steak/Corn on Cob/Mashed Potatoes - winter
Burrittos - I get the packet and just add the mince and veg and follow instructions
Fajhitas - as above
Pork Chops/Potatoes/Peas
Chicken Omlette - add peppers, onions etc..
Lamb kebabs (I get the kebab meat in local butchers and use pitta bread, lettuce, tomato, onion and garlic/chili sauce).

My only 'made up' recipe is as follows:
1 tin tomatoes
squirt tomato puree
large tablespoon pesto (any type)
black peppercorns - whatever amount suits taste
black pepper - as above
red pepper - as above
1 chopped pepper
1 chopped chilli pepper
1 chopped tomato
1 chopped onion
1 chopped clove garlic
half tin kidney beans

Bung the above into pot with half mug water, bring slowly to boil, cover, turn down heat, allow simmer 15 mins or til veg give up their juices.
Meanwhile - grill 3 chicken fillets and 5 rashers. Chop the lot and add to pot. Simmer for 10 more minutes.

Serve with pasta or rice. Freezes really well too.

We sometimes cook large portions of a few dishes in one afternoon and then freeze them in single portion sizes. One of our favourite cookbooks is the Avoca one, and if you cook the full recipe you'll get up to 8 portions. The baked lamb with cumin, cardamom and coconut milk (with rice or naan bread) and the chicken and broccoli gratin (with the potato and mint salad) go down a treat in our house.

I second recipeazaar. We cooked a lovely recipe from there last week, creamy cajun chicken pasta, really quick to prepare and yum !

Have this semi-Italian thing about once a week - two generous portions:

1 x tin of quality tuna chunks
1 x large chopped onion
1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x chopped red pepper
4 x cloves of crushed garlic (or to taste)

About 350g of pasta shapes (conghiglie/fusilli/farfalle etc)

Freshly ground black pepper, basil, oregano, pinch of chilli powder & teaspoon of sugar.

Finely grated mature cheese

Stick on water for pasta & meanwhile very gently fry the peppers in olive oil for about 2 minutes, add tuna and cook for 2, onions and cook for another 2.

Add herbs/pepper and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sugar, stir well and simmer gently.

Mix with strained cooked pasta. Top with plenty of grated cheese.

Whole thing takes about 15 mins from prep. to plate.

I'll convert you yet.