RECI or not RECI?

dereko1969

We are getting quotes from electricians for our new build house. On walking through the house with the 2 electricians we've contacted thus far one came up with a figure of 7,500 and the other was 3,500. The former is in RECI and the latter not, both have come recommended. Obviously this was top of the head stuff and the final figures will probably be different, but what value are we getting from the former's RECI membership?

AFAIK the ESB will not provide a supply to a new build unless it has been wired by Electrician who is a member of RECI or similar association such as ECCSA.

shoegal said:
AFAIK the ESB will not provide a supply to a new build unless it has been wired by Electrician who is a member of RECI or similar association such as ECCSA.

Not quite true. Wiring can be done by anyone, but the certification must be carried out by someone qualified. Check that the non-RECI spark will take care of the certification.

we as a firm for 'our' insurance use RECI, even though most of the employees can rewire. To our advantage and on the other hand if we have any problems we just report them to the association. Similar to the ALCI for landscapers. My advice - better safe than sorry - RECI man! may be a little more expensive - but safer. Remember it is electricity!

. Maybe sometimes customers are paying well over the odds to these association members. At the end of the day these associations are trying to get as many members as possible to increase their subscription income and joining criteria is only a cheque.

monstie said:
. Maybe sometimes customers are paying well over the odds to these association members. At the end of the day these associations are trying to get as many members as possible to increase their subscription income and joining criteria is only a cheque.
Monstie -
I/ my firm is a member of the ALCI - you really should view the criteria for membership [broken link removed] We have only 70 ish full members as it is so stringent for a very good reason. It took two years before i could apply, judges vet my work, bank & trade references, i can go on etc...

RECI members can answer for themselves - [i wont speak on their behalf but i believe it is similar-ish] but please do your research.

Its not fair on on all members of 'trades' to be labelled the same which is why I spent so much raising the standard of our/ my firm to become a 'member'.

Most of these associations are set up by people in the trade whose main objective of setting them up is to profit from them and i know from experience been a tradesperson myself that they only want to hear from members is when their premium is due or they want to sell you some insurance product where they can get you a 'group discount' or the likes.

Back