Rechargable batteries.

BlueSpud

I saw on a post somewhere, someone recommending a particular specification of AA rechargable bettery, but cant fine the post. I have bought a digital camera and have been advised to get good quality rechargables. Anybody know what the measure is?

You'll want NiMh batteries rather than NiCads, and the higher the Ah rating the better.
Leo

You'll want at least 2000 mAh or it'll chew through them.
I've got UniRoss 2000mAh in my (very) power hungry Canon and they work a treat - reliably get a couple of days out of them

[broken link removed] is a good place to buy them online; alternatively, Lidl/Aldi occasionally offer them as weekly specials. Or you could try eBay? I can recommend [broken link removed]...

Your best bet is usually to buy a charger bundled with 4x/8x batteries. Buy at least two full 'sets'.

As above - high capacity NiMH AAs (up to 2500mAh) and a good NiMH charger are what you want for a digital camera. I bought both on 7dayshop and am very happy with them. Ideally you should order during one of their free P&P offer periods but I don't think anybody knows in advanced when they are likely to run another one. They had one just after Xmas and I ordered a bunch of bits and pieces which were great value especially when the GBP£3.95 P&P charge (per order - not per item) was waived.

ClubMan said:
As above - high capacity NiMH AAs (up to 2500mAh) and a good NiMH charger are what you want for a digital camera. I bought both on 7dayshop and am very happy with them. Ideally you should order during one of their free P&P offer periods but I don't think anybody knows in advanced when they are likely to run another one. They had one just after Xmas and I ordered a bunch of bits and pieces which were great value especially when the GBP£3.95 P&P charge (per order - not per item) was waived.

Did you buy the 7DayShop branded batteries & charger or a more recognised name such as energiser or uniross? The 7DayShop ones seem to be considerably cheaper than other brands. If you did buy this one, how long does it take to charge 4 AA batteries (say the 2500 ones), and will it automatically switch off when they are charged?.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have a set of 7dayshop branded ones (2500 mAh) — and other 'no-name' batteries bought on eBay — and they seem fine. How quickly they recharge depends on the recharger, not the batteries. I have one 'rapid' charger in the car (+2hrs for 4 x AAs) and another, slower, plug-in one in the house, and I prefer to use the latter — rapid charging isn't good for the batteries.

BlueSpud said:
Did you buy the 7DayShop branded batteries & charger or a more recognised name such as energiser or uniross?
7dayshop branded - these batteries and this charger. I've bought lots of bits and pieces from 7dayshop and have had no complaints with any item or delivery.
If you did buy this one, how long does it take to charge 4 AA batteries (say the 2500 ones), and will it automatically switch off when they are charged?.
The fast charger(s) only take a few hours to charge and switch to trickle charging when done which ensures that the batteries are not damaged/overcharged. However it makes sense to plug the charger out as soon as possible after charging is finished and not leave them on trickle charging for extended periods. Remember that rechargeables will lose their charge while left unused or installed in the device even when not in use so don't charge them and leave them sitting around for weeks/months (in or out of the device) and expect them to necessarily work. I always keep a pack of Duracell Alkalines handy just in case of an emergency when the rechargeables fail.

Great info here. I bought a Samsung S1050 digital camera yesterday in Argos. Going at half price €149.99. It devours batteries. I'll be on to that 7 day shop tonight.

www.7DayShop.com shipping to Eire was £3.95 but increased to £7.95 a few months back.

Maybe is a better option? All prices include delivery. Check the user comments on batteries in particular as some items may not perform as expected or be rated as claimed!

The following page is a very good source of info on good rechargeable batteries and chargers - there is a comparison table of different makes of battery way down the page (it is a bit out of date but still useful):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

I have used 2500mAh Energizer AA and 2300mAhPowerex AA batteries a lot. I was initially impressed by the lasting power of the Energizers but after a couple of years of use their ability to hold a charge seems to have reduced significantly. By comparison, my Powerex batteries of a similar age (a bit older in fact) are still going strong. Based on my experiences, I would recommend Powerex batteries with no hesitation. And Maha chargers are very good too.

Are Sanyo eneloop batteries any good? I'm fed up buying AA and triple AAA batteries. Any recommendation's for a charger also?

Back