Recessed/spot lighting

noobie99

Folks,

I'm getting recessed lights in my kitchen, main bathroom and ensuite (16 in total) and am looking ofr advice on what type is best/lasts longest and are easily available in Lucan/Blanch area.

All info. appreciated,

Thanks,

Noob.

I'm also about to put recessed lights into a new bathroom - I understand there's a certain type of recessed light (sealed?) for bathrooms and yet another type if you're placing a light over a shower.

Argos have bathroom downlights.

I have downlighters through out the house - they are 50mm halogen lamps, run off 220 / 240v. The light from them is good, but they do blow relatively often. They're a pain to fix. A friend of mine built a house recently and fitted low energy downlighters - going to try and source these and replace my halogens.

If you want to add dimmers, you must choose the 230V halogens, you can't dimm the majority of low voltage ones.

B&Q do a good range of these pretty cheaply, pack of 5 50W downlighters with all you need for less than €30, suitable for use in certain bathroom zones. See this link for a description of these zones.
Leo

Cheers folks.

BTW quinno, are those low eneryy downlighters just replacement bulbs or does the whole unit need changing?

Noob.

low voltage can be dimmed as long as you use a dimmable transformer. and most decent transformers can be dimmed these days... just ask the seller.

www.lowenergyworld.com have led and cfl lamps (bulbs) that will fit in your existing mains downlight fitting.

Noob

Not too sure - have to contact my mate and find out. they look like a vesion of the low energy flourescents that you can fix to standard ceiling light fittings. Look pretty neat, light is good (they take a few minutes to warm up as do the other flourescents) and they have the added advantage of being low energy, Our kitchen has 6 x 50W halogens, that's 300W when they're all going. So they should help with energy saving, mind you they did look at bit on the €€€ side.

Thanks again folks.

Those 1.7W LED GU10 replacements at lowenergyworld look interesting though brightness may be an issue.

Love the net,

Rgds,

Noob.

They look like it, ok. Although at £10.99 a pop they'd want to be the business - I'd have to splash out around £100 - 120 to replace all the onces in the house.

Thanks for that

Back