recessed speakers

poppy1

Hi

I want to buy recessed speakers for the kitchen and dining area. Can anyone recommend a brand and give me an idea of price. I use my Ipod quite a bit so dont have a great hi fi system, would i need to buy a decent one?
No looking for anything very hi tech as im on a budget, thanks

Usually the terms "good sound" and recessed speakers would not be seen in the same sentence. Cheapo RS's will sound like a 10p speaker in a childs electronics kit with no definition of higher frequencies and a boomy distorted bass. I do remember seeing some american brand with a directional tweeter recommended but can't remember which one, failing that there are ones from B&W.

If you're planning on re-using your current hi-fi set up for this, and retaining the use of your current speakers, it should have additional speaker terminals e.g. for multi-room setup. This would mean that sound will be coming out of both normal speakers and the recessed ones at the same time. Other possibilities are using a pre-out socket to connect to a separate power amp which would power the RS's. Better solutions involve using dedicated multi-room amps which allow you to switch between speaker outputs. Some cheapish amps will have this feature.

I'd recommend a chat with cloney audio - they should be able to demonstrate options for you.

BTW, if you're going for the RS solution because of space/room aesthetics, then consider on-wall speakers - a box placed on the wall which can be painted to match decor. I've seen some of these at cloney - System Audio I think?

Aldark,

Usually the words "Cloney Audio" and "i'm on a budget" wouldn't appear in the same sentence either!

teddyk

thanks all - i saw recessed ones on peats website they were bose (no price on them though) - i just want them to be of decent quality rather than "pub" quality - just enough for dinner parties and stuff (backround noise)!!! im based in limerick/clare so will speak to a few local retailers to get ideas - thanks again

Back