Recessed Lights

danole

'Got 5 recessed lights in our hallway.4 have now blown.I've had a look & can't see how the bulbs come out. There's a wire/spring(?) that seems to hold the bulb in.Should this push back from both sides?'Doesn't seem to want to do it for me or am I approaching it the right way? Please,no "changing lightbulb" jokes!! Thanks!

Most likely the whole unit is held by a spring loading mechanism and so need to be pulled out completely. See and, in particular, [broken link removed] for example.

If bulbs are blowing on a regular basis then there may be some fault or issue with the installation - e.g. overheating of the bulbs and/or transformers etc.

I suspect these are 50w GU10 (or similar) halogen reflectors.

Push the two pointed parts of the spring together and push the bulb up while giving it a half turn counter clockwise.

Some of the cheaper GU10's don't last very long IME.

Please ensure that electricity is off and be careful handling these bulbs as they get very hot (when they aren't blown!!)

Last edited:
Sorry - I thought that the original poster couldn't even get near the bulb. My mistake.

I mastered replacing these in-situ- cos I was making sh**e of my ceiling every time I removed the whole fitting.

Under the lamp, there's a metal ring (it's split in the middle) that hold's up the lamp itself. If you can pry this (carefully!), the bulb will present itself for unscrewing, without removing the whoile fitting. Probably best the electricity is off for this....