Recessed Lights

Hurling Fan

Hi All, just trying to finalise recessed lights for new build and the brain is a bit fried as find this whole area so confusing... anyway, one shop is pushing an LED light (3 watts lasting for 100,000 hours), now while I'm keen to make an energy efficient choise, think the price of Euro48 is a lot of money. Most of the other shops/wholesalers are recommending a Megaman 11w which costs about Euro20. Just wondering if anyone would have any opinions on these. Thanks.

The LED's are well worth the money but I doubt that you would have enough light off them. Ask them for a comparison of the light output i.e how bright they are. I think you'll find that the LED will be a lot less

Hi, Just installed 23 low-energy CFL recessed lights. Each are 9w and light from them is very good - probably equivalent to 40W+ halogen. In addition to the 80% saving in electricity, they are supposed to last 5 times longer than halogen bulbs. Installed by my electrician and haven't been billed yet but I believe they were about €10 each.

48 euro = RIP OFF
i went in to the local elec wholesalers the other day to buy 4 of those . they were 16 euro each but the guy behind the counter , who i know told me that b&Q have em at 15€ for 2. i checked and they are a new product and are advertised on the uk website but werent yet delivered to b&q when i checked. they are expected any day.
i want them for a cabinet but will be interested in comparing them to the megamans. i somehow doubt they will be suitable for ceiling lights would would like to be proven wrong.

Woodies in Sandyford have a few 7 watt for under €10, they are a brand I never heard of before. Megaman are €15 in Phibsborough Electric.

Yes xt40 you're right - I was too optimistic - just checked price of the 9w CFL recessed downlights - €16+vat including bulb and fitting.