Recessed lights — how many?

spinal_tap

Anyone give me an indication as to how many actual lights would be needed for a relatively small kitchen — it would be about 4.5m long x 3m wide? And then for a livingroom about twice the size?

Hard to estimate before stud walls go in?

I think you mean the recessed lights in the ceiling? I'd suggest 4 in your kitchen. (I have 3 centred in a line in a 3.3m x 2.5m kitchen and it is perfect). I have two in an attic 3.5m x 3.5m. I think it's tempting to put in too many lights - it's too dazzling. Maybe consider how you will the space in the living room before you decide. You wouldn't want lights shining in your eyes if you are watching TV.

Sorry, yes rcessed lights, put it in the thread title and forgot it in the post.

I suggested four for the kitchen and six for the livingroom — you don't want it to be too dark and don't want it to be too bright either. The kitchen will have lighting behind the wall units also.

Deirdra, would you recommend a line of four or 2 x 2?

From my experience more is better - get six in the kitchen and eight in the living room and if it is too bright then get lower wattage bulbs or a dimmer switch - it's a pain to put in extra recessed lights once the second fix is done and the walls finished.

In the sitting room recessed lights can be used to very good effect in non traditional ways to give more atmospheric lighting - eg don't put the lights evenly spaced down the middle of the ceiling but rather close to the walls: housey mags can give some good examples

Also recessed lights with soft low light bulbs can look good if installed just above the skirting going up a stairway as opposed to in the ceiling (..well I think it looks good but it may well be a personal thing!)

Can I pick your brains guys? Is this something a relative novice can install or would you need a qualified electrician?

(Sorry if it's a dumb question!)

spinal_tap said:
Deirdra, would you recommend a line of four or 2 x 2?

depends where you need the most light - like over the cooker or sink. I think 4 is enough in the kitchen, but agree with efm about how to place them in the living room. Sounds great along the stairway! Although could get a bit monotonous if you have too many? (I went a bit overboard on garden decking - looks like a runway...)

Originally posted by Sun_sparks
Can I pick your brains guys? Is this something a relative novice can install or would you need a qualified electrician?

(Sorry if it's a dumb question!)

No such thing as a dumb question; just dumb answers.

As to whether a novice could install recessed lights ? Maybe. I have installed them BUT the raw wiring was already there ie I didn't have to run new wire from a junction box / fuse box. They can be quite fiddly as they come with a transformer and you need to be careful where you put them as the transformers can generate a good bit of heat.

It is also easier if you are fitting them upstairs because you have plenty of room in the attic to work with, but if you are installing them downstairs you only have the ceiling recess space to work with which can be tight.

That said if the wires or an exisiting light fixtures are there and you are just wiring the lights up then I would say a novice should be able to do it. However, if you are not sure about it it is safer to get a professional to do it

Not trying to be smart but if you have to ask that question...then you shouldn't do them yourself

Not trying to be smart but if you have to ask that question...then you shouldn't do them yourself

Is that directed at me or the OP?

Regardless, I think I know what you are saying but I don't agree. In reality you do not have to be a qualified electrician to install a recessed light (CAVEAT: where existing wiring exists and where the house is less than ~15 years old)

When I got my first house I knew nothing about DIY or electrics - if I had never tried anything myself but always got a sparks or a chippy in to do the work I still wouldn't have a clue.

Humans learn by doing and as long as you take the time to educate yourself on what you are trying to do (DIY books / manuals, wiring instructions) and take correct precautions (turn off power etc) wiring lights doesn't require a degree in astrophsyics!

Thanks everyone. efm — was half thinking about putting one recessed light in the alcoves on either side of the chimney breast. Must actually go and buy a house magazine and have a look. Cost will of course be a major factor.

As for the stairs, its an 'n' shape stairs, so dunno if it would be suitable, but certainly worth thinking about. Thanks!

I do take offence at that! As efm said, if I don't ask and don't try then I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Sure I only learned how to properly paint walls in the last 6 months!!!

I was asking purely because with electrics, I wanted to know whether it's something a novice could tackle with a bit of guidance.

Efm, thanks a million for your help. I don't think the wires would be there at the moment. It's only a 7 year old house, but that last owner seems to have moved a light fitting across the ceiling by dangling a wire down, so she obviously had a go at it!!

Might be worth getting a sparkie and some hands on lessons!

Spinal Tap, be very carefull. When install downlighters especially Low Voltage type always get a qualified electrician to install same and buy a good quality type. An extra € could be money well spent. LV Downlighters emit a lot of heat and have caused many fires in the past so I would suggest getting a competent electrician who will give advise on how many to install and where to install them. A dimming in your sitting room is a must as the light from downlighters can be rather harsh.

I'd probably go with 4 in the kitchen and around 8 in the living room.

I'd go for 35W GU 5.3's lamps as they give a softer light. Make sure you get dimmable electronic transformers otherwise you won't be able to dim them.

As regards doing a DIY job on them;

You can read the DIY manuals, wiring instructions etc and probably know exactly what you are doing, they are simple to install, but books are no substitute for a tradesman. There are potential problems, issues with existing wiring etc which you might not notice and which could end up causing you problems down the line, that an electrician would spot straight away.

I came across a DIY job on ELV downlighters a couple of months ago where two cables had been slowly melting in an attic for five years because of poor connections. They were very lucky to get away without a fire. The owners thought that because the lights were working they were fine. The problems normally occur years later.

Update:

I've gotten a *vague* estimate from builder — around E80 per light (plus VAT). He said something about new regulations and a 'sock' that goes around the wiring or transformer to prevent fires, because spots are notorious for overheating. Sounds extremely overpriced to me.

I searched other threads here and another person was quoted E65 per light, which some posters called excessive.

Are there new regulations/safety measures? I know from other materials he's used they will be top quality stuff.

a recessed downlight costs €5 to €10 to buy. do not use low voltage they will will keep blowing. an electrician in the workplace would be expected to install a downlighter in twenty minutes at least costing around €10 for labour and 4 euro for cable thats a total of €24 euro before profit. An Electrician gets paid €20.50 an hour but he costs a company around €30 an hour before you add for profit.