Recent experience with probate grant (Dublin)

pennywise

Hi

We are buying a house that is a probate. The house was put for sale in September, the first buyers pulled out (asbestos issue which we are ok to get fixed). We went sale agreed for it in early February. The communication with the vendor's solicitor is brutal. He won't return calls or emails from our solicitor nor from the EA. Anyway, we eventually got confirmation that the probate had been applied for on the 11th of April (I know, it's late considering that the house was on sale in September).
We were told it would be 4 weeks for the probate to be granted. It was supposed to come this week, now (after putting pressure on everyone) the solicitor says next week. We can't do much but wait, but this is getting frustrating, not to mention costly for us as we are renting (we just sold our own apartment). I know the situation with probates was dreadful until recently, loads of delays, but our own solicitor mentioned that it was much quicker nowadays. Is this really the case? Has anyone had any recent experience with probate in Dublin?

Thanks

When my family home was sold, probate was only applied for on sale agreed and was got in about 4 weeks. As long as they are not doing it themselves all should be ok. You would be very unlucky if sale was not through by a week or two.

When my family home was sold, probate was only applied for on sale agreed and was got in about 4 weeks. As long as they are not doing it themselves all should be ok. You would be very unlucky if sale was not through by a week or two.
Thanks Elcato. And sorry you had to go through this yourself. I feel actually bad harassing the vendors as they have lost their dad

Wow, that's fast. In the mid-west of this wonderful country one would be talking about 6 to 12 months.

Wow, that's fast. In the mid-west of this wonderful country one would be talking about 6 to 12 months.
Just to be clear, the whole process took a year. The final probate cert or whatever it's called only took four weeks but the legal guys know what had to be produced and how it should be so there was no hold up.

Just to be clear, the whole process took a year. The final probate cert or whatever it's called only took four weeks but the legal guys know what had to be produced and how it should be so there was no hold up.

So was it only 4 weeks once the application was sent? Thanks

4 weeks to take out probate? Is that what's being said here? Searches alone would take a lot more, never mind everything else.

4 weeks to take out probate? Is that what's being said here? Searches alone would take a lot more, never mind everything else.
All searches, forms, signings of papers were all done prior to actually bringing the case in front of the legal people who grant the probate. I assume they have to stamp and approve the procedure but I'm not familiar with the legal term.

Thanks Elcato. Our solicitor received an update from the vendor's, he contacted the probate office and was told 6-7 weeks, so not too bad

Back