Receiving itv/bbc abroad

J

jacko2

My parents have a bought a house in Germany near Hahn airport where Ryanair fly to. My mum really misses her soaps nad we would love to sort out her nightly fix. Does anyone know how to go about this. Neighbours have Dishes but it is a real german speaking area so no interest in english channels ther. it is also just a village quite far from big towns etc so don't really know if broadband etc available. Any ideas really welcome on what we can do

I'd say you will be able to get these channels with a dish and some manner of card.

The satellite forum on www.boards.ie will almost certainly provide the answer.

You need to install a dish over there.
Then get a Sky subscription here and bring the decoder and viewing card out there. That's what I did...although watching Fair City by the pool kind of defeats the purpose!

.although watching Fair City by the pool kind of defeats the purpose!
I doubt you'd be doing this at this time of the year. :eek: Just to add that you need not get a sky subscription. A digibox for about 50 euros here secondhand, a minidish for about the same ( altho' I doubt you could carry this as hand luggage with Ryanair - maybe it might be worth paying for it as luggage if you wrapped it up well !) Point the dish at 28 E and away you go with BBC1,2,3,4 ITV1,2,3 and 4 (and now Channel 4 I think) and a myriad of other free channels. 100 euros secondhand here , a few bob to get the dish and box to there and......

Last edited:
a minidish for about the same ( altho' I doubt you could carry this as hand luggage with Ryanair
You'll need to bring the Sky box from here, but the dish and LNB could be obtained locally. Any satellite dish/LNB used for digital services will do, even the one from the local Lidl.

Astra 2d (where ITV/BBC are) is available in the western parts of Germany according to this map.. Other Sky services are more generally available.

If you are only interested in the UK free to air channels then you can source all the equipment locally. Germany is much cheaper for the gear than here. You need a dish bigger than the Sky mini dish as you are at the outer end of the transmission range. An 80cm dish or larger would do. Any digital satellite receivers will broadcast BBC1, BBC2 & ITV, tell your folks to go to the local Media Markt or Saturn, they are probably the best/cheapest places. They often have offers on. You just need to install the dish and point it in the right direction.

When my parents come over to me in Sweden i download Coronation St & Emmerdale from uknova.
Works a treat, perfect quality and they were stunned by the technology. Although it's probably best for when they're over for short visits.

Back