Received bank statement via email

Mr Magoo

I just received an email from an Irish bank with a bank statement attached as a PDF file.

Now email isn't that secure, and the PDF file wasn't encrypted and contains my name, address, bank account number and the amount. It's a fixed term deposit account.

Now isn't this a bit dangerous??

I've never received a bank statement via email. If I opt for electronic statements (which I generally do), then it's accessible only via online banking. I agree that email is not secure - you should contact your bank to confirm that it's legit & tell them not to send statements via email again.

Anglo Irish have always sent my statements as a PDF attachment to my email address

Not a great idea IMHO. Was there anything about this mentioned in the Ts & Cs when you signed up to the account?

Not a great idea IMHO. Was there anything about this mentioned in the Ts & Cs when you signed up to the account?

I didn't check, there may have been.
Anyway I've emailed them asking them not to send me any more emails with such confidentential information attached, pointing out my concern. I'll let ye know what happens.

@crunchie - yea same bank

Very bad practice.

If nothing else a bank shouldn't want people used to opening attachments claiming to be from them.

Got a phone call from them saying that I'd signed up for email and I could write in to have them stopped.
In the conversation it was pointed out that the postal system isn't secure either, letters get lost in transit etc.

anyway, I suppose just watch what you're signing up for is the old moral of the story.

@jhegarty - good point regarding attachments from banks, hadn't thought of that plus i read recently pdf files can contain viruses...

What do you think someone's going to do with your name, address and bank account number?

Ever hear of identity theft? Big problem these days.

ONQ.

yea it's that plus emails pass through several systems before arriving at your pc and who knows whats being kept and for how long - I think there's a Communications (Retention of Data) Bill 2009 (PDF) currenly under review. An extract from this states "The retention of numbers dialled, length of calls, the location of the transmission, as well as email and internet activity raises issues of privacy...."