Receive US$ from a US Company from USA to Ireland AIB

podgerodge

I am expecting a travel refund from a company in the States, who asked me for my IBAN/BIC. They have since come back to say that their bank in the States has said the wire transfer failed due to " ACCOUNT NUMBER FORMAT INVALID REQUIRE BIC/SWIFT AND IBAN".

There's no problem with the IBAN/BIC I sent so they are trying again. But I wondered do US banks need a correspondent bank for AIB to make a payment to Ireland? Can't find anything on AIB website.

Thanks.

Probably not - looks like they need AIB's SWIFT code (AIBKIE2D I believe - but check with your branch). It's partially embedded in the IBAN but the US bank payment system might need a full SWIFT code

That's what I figured EmmDee. As you say they might need the BIC - I had given them the AIBKIE2D already though. I've since suggested they use AIBKIE2DXXX which sometimes is stated, though should not be necessary. Thanks.

That's what I figured EmmDee. As you say they might need the BIC - I had given them the AIBKIE2D already though. I've since suggested they use AIBKIE2DXXX which sometimes is stated, though should not be necessary. Thanks.

Yeah the XXX is unnecessary. There is probably a three letter code for your particular branch but it's not needed if they have the IBAN or account number. Should work