Receipts for Tax

imalwayshappy

Hi All,

Does anyone find that their receipts for offsetting tax tend to fade quickly? I am looking at my receipts from 3 years ago and some of them are not legible anymore. I know people will say to scan the receipts but when you have a load of receipts of all shapes and sizes it takes a long time. Does anyone else have this problem with receipts fading?

Most receipts are now printed on direct thermal paper, therefore will fade or go black if left in sun light, so the put them in a folder and store in a drawer or somewhere like that, don't leave them on the window sill or in the car

Till receipts, scan them en bloc onto an A4 and print them (on a laser printer) as back-up. You, should manage anywhere 8 to 12 receipts on a single pass of the scanner.

I scan every receipt on my phone (which is tax deductible) with the camscanner app and file to dropbox immediately. This way I have everything at my fingertips when the time comes to filing the return.

I tended to photocopy these receipts. Is this ok or do these fade too? I'm finished if they also fade.

In the event of an audit then, what can you do?
I have folders of my accounts from years gone by. I rarely have to go back more than last year so I dont know the condition if the receipts.
What if I was audited and all my receipts have faded?
What can I do?
What can Revenue do?

In the event of an audit then, what can you do?
I have folders of my accounts from years gone by. I rarely have to go back more than last year so I dont know the condition if the receipts.
What if I was audited and all my receipts have faded?
What can I do?
What can Revenue do?

I would imagine they (the Revenue) would discount the receipts for claims purposes so you can't use them essentially. Otherwise you could have people with a load of crumpled up till roll claiming that they had 500 euro worth of expenses but the receipts have faded! :)

Ha.. yes, there will be some I am sure.
But I have genuine receipts that may have now faded

Yeah but from a revenue perspective they don't know that. I am unsure what they would do, I would like to think that common sense would prevail so if your tax receipts for a year totaled 2k and your legible receipts amounted to 1.9k they might give you a pass on a few faded receipts provided everything else was in order. If it was a material amount of faded receipts its a different story....

Back