Reasonable and Inoffensive To Scangers?

L

liamwoods

There has been a lot of discussion on radio shows and in newspapers (particularly Newstalk 106 and the Indo.) regarding a fantastic online encyclopaedia called Wikipedia. Many of you are probably familiar with it. Whilst bored the other day I spent an hour or so, on the site trawling through a lot of interesting information about Dublin. The site tends to be reasonably unbiased for the most part. However I came across this article and couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scangers

I can't believe somebody went to the trouble of writing this. Here are some of my favourite lines:

1) The cap is often worn at a sharp 70-90 degree angle.
2) Dutch Gold is almost tradition. I used to love this, 6 for a fiver!
3) A common greeting used by so-called scangers is pronounced 'starry buud?' ('how are you, friend?')
4)Fiat Punto, modified with expensive parts, often worth more than the car itself. True enough

Last week there was a picture of 'Spiral' from Big Brother 7 in a little box. It's gone now. That was a bit harsh I suppose.

Overall a very reasonable summary I would have thought!. This appears to have come about as a result of the 'Chav' phenomenon in the UK. I find it quite odd really as we have had 'scangers' here for well over ten years - I remember quite well the tongues hanging out of runners, the baseball hats (or even worse the grandad caps), the tight jeans and fag hanging from the mouth (johnny blue of course)- yet it's only hit England in the past couple of years. I didn't read it all, did it mention the wearing of Pyjamas to the shops, post offices etc at 3 O'Clock in the afternoon??

Yeah, In the Other distinguishing features section: ''Female scangers are sometimes seen wearing pyjamas and / or slippers in public at any time of the day.''

Oh my God, I saw someone wearing PJs in broad daylight in Dublin a few weeks ago ... presumed wrongly that they were under psychiatric care ... little did I know that it was really a scanger ...

BTW ... how does scanger make it in ... when eejit doesn't?