Rear Window Heater & Radio Interference

eggerb

When I turn on the rear window (& side mirror) heaters in my Audi A4 there is bad interference on the radio - sometimes to the point that the station can't be heard. Has anybody else experienced this? Many thanks.

I read tough some of that stuff (mostly American) for the last half an hour or so and there's nothing specific to the A4. There is some generic talk of changing electronic components etc. Ideally, I'd like to know if anybody had a similar problem with the A4 and how they overcame it. I don't want to go messing with electronic components I know nothing about.

Hi

The aerial is in the rear heated screen. It is the 2 vertical bars. You should check that the bars are not damaged. Also if you can find the electrical connections, check to see that they are good and not corroded. I would also check the rear connection on the radio.

Another solution would be to fit an external aerial. If you are in Dublin area, you could probably get away with fitting it in the glovebox , saving having to mount it on the body. Not ideal but easier.

Can offer any advice just to say I have same problem with BMW 318 ,seeems to be fairly common

Really drives me nuts. You basiclly have to decide to use either one of the mirror/rear window OR the radio! The car is under a used car 12 month warranty so I'm wondering if they will cover this.

Couldn't see any visible damage/corossion and don't know how to pull out the radio so its still a problem.

Hi,

if car is still under warranty , i would bring it back and get the garage to sort it out. Though some warranties only cover major mechanicals.