rear ended

J

jbstar

my question is, if rearended and insurance company agree to pay damages and say that they will only pay the garage, can they do this, as we want the cheque payable to us, do we have a choice

Re: rearended

Yep - they sure can.
Do you just want the cash and not repair the car?
There have been a few threads about this recently

we were rearended, they say our quote from garage too high, so they say that we can have their mechanic fix it, but we want the cheque payable to us and we will get our guy to fix it, so can we argue this

also this happened over 2 weeks ago, we didnt go to doctor because we were ok but now we are both getting back pain, can we still claim

confused, is it the person who hit you or the insurance company saying your garage quote is too high?

If it's the person who hit you, who cares what they think, they're not the one's paying it

to both your replys we havent gone to doctor yet when it happened we had little pain and im not the sort of person to lie and say i have but 2 weeks on and we have pain so am going to doc on monday and to other queation its the insurance company who say repair too expensive, our garage gave the quote, they came out today and checked the van for damage and said they will get back to us

Sounds like the Insurance company is Quinn Direct, do not be intimidated by the insurance company, play hardball and send them a Solicitors letter now.

AFAIK you have two years to make a personal injury claim. It's quite common when you have been hit from behind that some injuries don't come to light for a couple of weeks after. The same thing happened to me a few months ago, I felt fine after the accident but a couple of weeks on had pain in my upper back and shoulders.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. Basically the insurance company cannot dictate where you go to get the car fixed. Just stand your ground and make sure you're absolutely thorough about getting checked out medically.

No insurance company can dictate where you have your repairs done BUT, they can try and steer you towards certain repairers, by offering lower excess with that repairer, Royal & Sun Alliance do this.

If the insurer considers the quote too high and damaged party is adamant that they want their vehicle repaired at main dealer for instance, insurer employs an assessor to negotiate the price with the garage. Most of the time where savings are made is the amount of labour and hourly rate, sometimes the amount of paint and sundries get adjusted also.

If you originally felt that you and your passengers were fine and this has now changed, inform the company you're dealing with straight away - whiplash can take time to materialise. No one is going to think any the less of you or your passengers, surely it is better to discuss with the insurer and see can you reach a resolution before spending money on a solicitor.

Working in the insurance industry myself, I'd far rather that the person concerned told me that things had changed - what have you got to lose? If you don't talk to the insurer about this, how do they know that things have changed?

-= surely it is better to discuss with the insurer and see can you reach a resolution before spending money on a solicitor.

Beware an employee of an insurance company telling you to discuss directly with the insurance company rather than going to a solicitor, the plain truth is that in the vast majority of cases a solicitor will elicit higher damages ( a higher sum of money) in compensation and will get their fees paid directly by the company too.

The insurance company cannot dictate where you get your repairs done, and have no right to make the cheque payable to the garage however much they would like to be able to.

if the case goes to the Personal Injury Assessment Board you would not have your legal fees paid.

The insurance company can send their assessor to see the damage to your car. If he thinks the estimate is too high he will then go to the garage that will repair the car and come to an agreement over the cost of repair. The days where the insurance pay you straight and you can repair your car cheaper and pocket the balance are long gone.

In practice I don't believe that dodgy aspect has gone away...some garages will offer kickbacks to customers as the cost of the work is not exact. It just has to be in and around an acceptable level. Of course this impacts on us all as insurance costs rise as a result.