Rear-ended - what do about resale value?

OhPinchy

My main concern with the below is that even when my car is repaired its resale value will be affected - what should I do to protect against me incurring that loss?

I was rear-ended in rolling traffic approaching a roundabout by a woman in an SUV last week. She accepted full liability (I'd say she was looking back at her kid in the rear seat).

I got an estimate from a garage that came to €5k for all the damage to the back of my 2003 VW Passat. I was very surprised at the force of the impact and the amount of damage done - heavy things those SUVs (BMW X5).

There was a crack to a fuel line in the front beside the engine and my mechanic mate patched that up so I could get it to the garage, though they forgot to include that in the estimate. My mechanic mate replaced my CV bolts and joints a while back and given the price of VW parts, I went with generic "spurious" parts. They work fine but every now and then (once a day) the ABS sensor would kick in when breaking and just make a noise. Since the crash it now happens every ten minutes, so I think it will affect the resale value. What should I do to get that addressed?

Assessor for her insurer (Allianz) had a look on Monday and said he'll get in touch with the garage and the insurers will get back to me. I mentioned the 2 above items to him. Is there anything normally done for the probable impact to the resale value (i.e. even when the damage is repaired someone might be wary of buying a car that has been in a crash)?

This thread might be of interest.

A few other similiar threads around if you search for "insurance + resale" or terms of that nature.

Thanks folks - I looked around at previous threads but there's not a whole lot of info on this on here.

It did worry me to see a couple of posts from people that said insurers had refused to quote or increased the quote based on the fact they had been involved in a quote of over €5k even though they were not to blame.

I'll get onto the insurer and see what their take is and then see what the updated estimate to include the fuel line and ABS breaks issue and then look for 10% on that.

I'm actually in hospital this week for elective surgery so will have to arrange for the garage to collect the car from my house but I guess that's just incidental cost they can include.