Really high wall obstructing view at T junction..

Bob the slob

I live on a corner of a block in an estate and a developer bought the neightbours house on a corner also (separated by a road leading to other estates and a school) and is building a house in the back garden of this (which is parrallel to the road separating my house from my neighbours)

He has built a wall around the front of my neighbours house right (on top of a four foot wall already there) around the side to where the new house is being built and it is nearly 3 metres high, I havent measured it yet tho. It completely obstructs the view of the road when you are driving and you cannot see what is coming down the road when you are waiting to turn out. On the flip side when you are driving down that road, you cannot see if there is any traffic turning out of the T junction either. Also when the school is back there will be numerous children and cars going through this each day as it is the main thoroughfare to the school around the corner so it is bound to be a hazard.

Can anyone advise on what to do? What are the restrictions on boundary walls in housing estates like this?

I'd nearly take a photo or two and bang them up to show you all.

Any advice much appreciated.

First thing would be to examine the plans at the local authority's planning office and see what height these walls were meant to be when he sought (and obtained) planning permission. If the drawings show a 2m wall and it's actually more like 3, he's in breach of his permission and can be required to lower them to the correct height.

However, I can't (without photos) imagine how it 'completely obstructs' drivers' views of the road, if it's built on top of an existing four-foot boundary wall?

Maybe I said it wrong, when you were sitting in your car at the junction you could see over the four foot wall and see traffic coming down the road, now you cant see over the wall and have to edge out into the road. It doesnt look like there is any wall at the side of the house on the plans so I think he is in breach.

the general restriction is 1.2 m high walls to the front of estate dwelling and 2.0 m high walls to rear and side.....

it definately sounds like the developer is doing something he hasnt permission for, but before you do anything you must confirm this.... by checking the planning application either on-line or in the council offices...

Bob,

If it's an estate I'm assuming that there is a footpath and/or a grass verge?....Are you driving a car with the longest bonnet in Ireland?

r2d2

I would telephone planning enforcement at your local council and they will advise if you have the planning permission ref. number.

Bob,

If it's an estate I'm assuming that there is a footpath and/or a grass verge?....Are you driving a car with the longest bonnet in Ireland?

r2d2

Yes a footpath but no need to be a smart ass, my bonnet length isnt the issue here. Thanks for your input all the same, I'll take it on board when I'm buying my next car!

Thanks for everyone else that had something to really say! Will follow it up tomorrow.