Realistic conveyancing cost

luckystar

For those who have recently sold/purchased houses.
How much should be budgeted for sale and purchase of houses. And outlays?
I've heard of a % cost which sounds unusual, but just wondering what is realistic these days. For a thorough job of course!

Estate agent fees are a % of sale. Depending on area, and agent used; anything from 1% to 2% of price would be standard. Remember it's plus vat. Marketing outlays for photos, brochures, and online listing will run into a few hundred paid upfront.

Solicitor, expect about 1500 + VAT and outlays for each transaction. You'll get cheaper (and more expensive). But cheaper isn't always better.
Including outlays, budget for about 2k sale and 2,500 purchase. Purchase outlays will depend on whether it's Land Registry or Registry of Deeds.

Stamp duty 1% on purchase (assuming it's residential, up to 1 acre).

House survey (400), and valuation (130) on purchase.

Add a few grand for a skip to clear house, storage unit between moves, and to hire a van for the move.

I also spent a few grand tidying up the house before we put on market - quick paint inside, etc.

I'm sure others will think of more.

Paid 2400€ incl. Vat to sell our property (Dublin area). It included 380€ fees to management company for end of contract (thieves....), and 180€ remaining LPT.
I'm looking at a similar invoice for our purchase.
EA fees 5k (but worth it, in fairness)

Be careful of the hidden fees, like that 380€ I mentioned, I wasn't expecting to have to pay it on top of the management fees for the remainder of the year.

Ah, if it's just legal fees.

Professional fees anywhere from 900 + VAT upwards.
The other costs / outlays are standard no matter who who go with.
The totals I indicated above were based on 1500 professional fee for each transaction (Dublin based).
As I said, you'll get cheaper, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the same solicitor again.

Back