Real or artificial lawn

Thrifty1

We live in a standard 3 bed semi with standrad size back garden. At the moment its is a disaster, ground uneven, patchy grass, covered in thistles and weeds.
We laid decking a couple of months ago and are finally getting around to sorting out the "lawn".
The garden is covered in stones and there seems to be a lot of builders rubble under there aswell.

We are trying to find out the best way to sort it.
If we sow a lawn will we need to put down weed killer, rotavate the garden, rake out stones, level, put down topsoil and sow the lawn seeds ?
Anything else im missing ? also what about the rubble we dont know how much is under there and if possible id rather leave it alone.

My husband saw on the Afternoon show (he thinks) recently about artificial lawns available from Woodies (he thinks !!!). Different from the roll out one this doesnt actually grow and is supposed to be maintenance free, which we would love.
I googled it but all im coming up with is like astro turf or butchers grass !, did anyone see this show as we rang Woodies and they just said they didnt stock it.

If we did go for this option would we still have to prepare the ground as above, as if so then id prefer to just sow the lawn.

Why not just weedkiller it then rotavate and get turf laid, would look much better than the artificial look - if you dont want real grass why not just make big beds and gravel paths - no real maintenance and at least would look real!

I went to view a house last year and they had artifical grass down in the back garden. I don't know what brand it was but up close it looked really terrible!

Back