Reading Aid

clipper1981

I am interested in purchasing a handsfree book/newspaper holder that would sit on a persons lap or chair as they sit down. Does anyone here know of where I could get such a thing?

I might suggest you take a look at the AssistIreland.ie website. This is a new Irish Government website that provides information on assistive technologies to help those who need help with daily living (including people with disabilities, impaired movement, motor problems, visual impairments).

You should be aware that given that website is an Irish Government website they do not endorse any products listed, nor provide commercial information on pricing. In addition, they do not provide funding for any of the products listed but they do link on to information on various state supports, services etc.

I've just checked and there are a range of products such as book rests, page turners, reading aids so this should be of assistance, or at least a point in the right direction.

The site is basically a national listing of products that are available and you then contact the suppliers directly. It's useful however in that you can view the products online and you can check the dimensions, etc.

The section on communication aids (which covers the items I mention above) is here: http://www.assistireland.ie/index.asp?locID=75&docID=-1 but I would suggest you take a look through the rest of the site to see if any other items may be of assistance.

The AssistIreland website also offers a telephone query service at Lo-call: 1890 277 478.

I do hope this is of assistance. In addition, if your query relates to an older person, or someone with disabilites, you should call into your nearest Citizen Information Centre to pick up a free booklet on the rights and entitlements of those groups.

CMCR.