Re Travel and Training Courses

B

baz123

Hi Guys,

New on here. I run a small design business. I travel around 50km roundtrip to college every day by car. This is my biggest expense (adds up to more than insurance) over the year (about 6.5k km per year).

I was wondering, as my college course is business related, and hence useful to m business as a "training course", would I be able to claim this mileage as a business expense - hence lowering my tax liability.

Sorry if this is totally wrong, but my local revenue office refused to give me a clean cut answer on it without wanting to "look over my records to date", which I reckoned was a case of "so you think your smart". They did however say I could claim my student services charge if I registered under some scheme - presumably there is a link??

Again, thanks in advance, and if I am wrong, I will keep doing things the way I am - just wondering!

Kind Regards
Baz

Sounds like your place of business is the location of your course, in which case you can't claim from home to place of business.

Thanks Paddy199,

I would agree, however I do all of my business from my home, also meet clients here, work here when not in college and my reg office is here.

Regards,
Baz

Hi Guys,

.....as my college course is business related, and hence useful to m business as a "training course"........

Just read your OP again. I think in the attached quote it says alot.

Course fee - not allowable
Mileage - not allowable

All because the course is not wholly, necessary and exclusively for the purposes of the trade. You just can't argue the necessary part - you even say useful yourself. Also, a training course is not a college course/

Sorry.

Hi Paddy,

That seems fair enough, I thought it might have been the case - alas I will have to find a more hilly route to college to roll the car down!

Thanks for your advise.

Regards,
Baz