Re-planting garden -advice!

Newbie!

Hi,

We have just prepared our lawn for sowing grass seed but we also want to plant hedging and some shurbbery. Do we do this first or wait for the lawn to mature before planting?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a good garden centre in the dublin region?

I know naas is out a bit from Dublin - but there is a really good Garden Centre of the Naas road in Johnstown.

That's not too far pinkybear. Is it expensive as we want to buy quite a bit. Did you find them helpful to advise you on what to buy?

It was some time ago when I visited them and they were OK price wise but were very helpful for picking out suitable shrubs. They had an excellent range though..

Orchard Garden Centre in Celbridge is good and I agree Johnstown is excellent. Newlands in Clondalkin is always worth a visit too.
For shrubs, you could try Choisya Aztec Pearl - evergreen, about 4 ft high and masses of very fragrant cream blossoms for weeks in late Spring. Mine is beside a dwarf 4.5 ft lilac. A Sarah Bernhardt peony is easy to grow; it dies down in winter but comes up in early Summer with huge fragrant pink flowers.
A hebe is a good border shrub - fairly low, rounded and dark evergreen. For contrast, a New Zealand flax in soft green/salmon stripe or dark pink - lights up the garden all year. I have a scarlet Oriental poppy set against a mint green shed - not boring!
If your garden gets good sun, the Just Joey rose (big orange scented blooms on bronze-green foliage) would be beautiful alongside a Margaret Merrill cream fragrant rose.
If you are doing hedging, a combination of green laurel and perhaps Photinia Red Robin is very pleasing to the eye.
Good luck with your planting.

Back