Re: Overseas Furniture

tom99

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has gone out foreign to get the Furniture for their house. I was in Thailand last year and the furniture is fantastic. Is there any limits or dutys that i have to apy to bring in these items. I am looking at bringing inthe Kitchen and all internals wooden floors and tables chairs , sofas, blinds, curtains etc. As much as i can even the patio Furniture. I am going there anyway on a Holiday so trying to do as much as i can. Has anybody any advice / ideas.
Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,

Since furniture is so expensive here (and generally pretty run-of-the-mill), no matter what you pay to ship it will probably work out cheaper! I've also been tempted to go down the route you're thinking of, having seen really beautiful stuff on my travels. I haven't done it yet but on a smaller sclale (or at least smaller distance), I have bought antique furniture from Britain and have had it shipped with mostly fabulous results (e.g. my wonderful Edwardian mahogany bed - €300 after shipping costs or my victorian oak and velvet chaise longue - €200 after shipping - both much cheaper than Irish prices even compared to regular, boring, bargaintown-style, tat). However, I have had one bad experience involving delivery when I wasn't using my usual shipping company. What I would recommend is find a reputable shipping company (preferably recommended) who will take responsibility for damage or loss of goods. Somewhere like eBay would be a good place to go for suggestions and for finding international shippers.

Best of luck!

I use a crowd called Abbey: [broken link removed]

It can work out expensive for one item at a time but cheap for a couple of things. It's well worth it though. Again, check eBay or similar sites to find companies (complete with reviews and feedback) who will ship from further abroad.

janec -
amazing site - it loved reading through it..... and I have my eye on some of their stuff

Thanks guys, Great site. Having priced blinds and curtains in this country i think the only way for me to go is to import anything i can when on hols.
That Site looks great.
Any of you know a good place to get nice country kitchens.
Cheers
Tom

tom99,
Drop me a PM if you need any help when you are here in Thailand.
Rgds,
James.