Re-negotiating terms of a student loan

B

baoithe

Hi all,

I have just completed a postgrad. Prior to this I took out a student loan in the sum of €10,000. The terms of said loan were that I would make interest only repayments for a year and then to begin repaying the principle. However, for various reasons I will be studying for the next 6 months or so.
My question is: Is it possible for me to renegotiate the terms of the loan so that I push back the date at which I begin to repay the principle, by about six months? In the intervening period I would like to make the interest repayments. Essentially what I am asking is would they allow me to keep paying interest as I was for another six months or are they inflexible?

Many thanks.

Thanks for that Josie. I was just trying to get a feel as to what sort of response I will get when I go to see them about this. I had better just bite the bullet and call them.

Thanks alot.

When i had my student loans i stopped my payments for 10 months one year as i wasn't working p/t as much and never had a problem topping up either, not sure if things have changed but it wasn't that long ago so it shouldn't have.....

Back