Re-mortgaging a property

Lynda07

I am thinking of re-mortgaging my property as I need to carry out some maintenance work on the apartment, plus would like to clear down credit card debt. I don't know much about the re-mortgaging process so would welcome any advice. I understand I may need a Financial Advisor and would welcome any recommendations. I live in south Dublin city area. The property is a 1 bed apartment, probably worth around €250k mark, with an oustanding mortgage of around €150k. Any advise would be most gratefully received.

Don't know why you need a financial advisor. Standard approach would be to just approach your existing mortgage provider and ask them what they can do for you. LTV appears fine so you will need to satisfy both repayment ability & income multiple parameters. Also, in recent years many providers are wary of top up requests which are not directly related to the property. Clearing a credit card would come under this heading!!!

You'd be better off filling in the money makeover thread. Borrowing to pay off credit card debt over many years (presumably your mortgage would still have a good number of years to run) is not generally advisable.