Re-Installing Windows xp onto a Dell pc. Will it wipe my data?

Becca

If I use the original Windows xp reinstall CD to reinstall xp (that's the original CD which came with my Dell pc when I purchased it new), will this wipe off the data that I have saved on the HD, or will it leave in place all of my data which I have saved on the pc?

Thanks!

If you choose the reformat option while installing then it will wipe your user data. If you don't then installing over an existing installation may just do a repair install or may result in a potentially dodgy layering of the new over the old operating system. Why are you considering a reinstall? Why not just back up your data nad do a clean install? Do you have installation media for all applications that you normally use?

If you choose the reformat option while installing then it will wipe your user data. If you don't then installing over an existing installation may just do a repair install or may result in a potentially dodgy layering of the new over the old operating system.
I didn't realise there was a choice, when reinstalling the Windows xp, between a reformat install and a "layering" install.

Why are you considering a reinstall?
I'm trying to connect to the internet using broadband but I'm not having much luck. The provider has gone through many possible reasons as to why it is not working. Now they have informed me that a possible reason is that my pc has something on it, maybe some virus, that is stopping connection using broadband. They have suggested reinstalling Windows xp to see if this helps.

Why not just back up your data and do a clean install?
Do you mean using a memory stick?

Do you have installation media for all applications that you normally use?
Not too sure what that means.

I didn't realise there was a choice, when reinstalling the Windows xp, between a reformat install and a "layering" install.

I'm trying to connect to the internet using broadband but I'm not having much luck. The provider has gone through many possible reasons as to why it is not working. Now they have informed me that a possible reason is that my pc has something on it, maybe some virus, that is stopping connection using broadband. They have suggested reinstalling Windows xp to see if this helps.
Have you scanned the PC to check? See the "clean PC" thread pinned at the top of this forum for suggestions. This suggestion can be the last cop out of tech support who can't find any other reason for problems. Unless they have specific reason/evidence to suggest virus/malware as the cause of your problems I would wonder if they are just using this as a cop out. Also - a repair install might be what you want once you have cleaned off any viruses/malware that might exist.
Do you mean using a memory stick?
Not necessarily - any backup medium - e.g. external drive, CD/DVD etc.
Not too sure what that means.
If you reinstall Windows and wipe the disk then you will also have to reinstall any application software that you use (e.g. Microsoft Word/Office etc.). Windows is just the operating system and does not bundle (m)any appplications other than the likes of Internet Explorer.

I would suggest that you get advice from somebody with the technical know-how to sort your problems out in the best possible way.

Back