Re installing windows ME

burns

Hi, I've a 5 year old pc which is acting up ie keeps freezing up and won't allow me to do a system restore etc. I don't think its worth spending money on, I'd rather buy a new one if necessary, but before going down that path i would like to clear drive c and reinstall the operating system ME as i have all the drivers.
My question is, is it simply a matter of changing the BIOS to allow start up from a cd drive and then formatting drive c and then installing from the cd rom i have.
( I don't mind playing about with the pc, If it works great, if not i'll replace it. )
Thanks

Changing the bios to boot from CD should do it.

I'm not suure if ME has the option to reformat as part of the installation process.

If not, boot the PC using a DOS disk (see http://www.bootdisk.com/) and use FDISK to delete your existing hard drive C partition, refromat and start the install process.

Make sure to back-up any data you might need.

Dont forget you need your "product key".You should also consider "exporting" your email accounts & address book.Also copy internet favourites,inbox, Also take note of your dial up numbers & settings. Also take note of your hardware as you have to reinstall sound card,modem,usb card & printer software plus extras (scanners ect), abode acrobat,anti virus,office (dont forget you may need a product key)...........................If you kept all your CDs & bits & pieces,then everything should be OK. Incidently its possible to just delete the Windows & programme files folder using DOS "deltree" (copy from windows/command to c: before deleting windows)( & reinstall without reformat.Also make suri install CD is OK. You can try copying over your existing windows & this has worked for me once.

Thanks Guy's,

Tried it last night, not very sucessful i'm afraid, got the message half way into the install that files ( approx 20 )could not be located on my scource cd. I skippped these files and continued on with the install as i didn't seem to have an option to cancel it.
For some reason my pc is still operator and in no worse a manner than it has been for the last couple of months, so i think i'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.