Re-Enamel Bath

geri

I have an enamel bath in my bathroom that is discoloured. I would rather get it re-enameld that buy a new bath. Has anyone had this done? Is it effective? Any idea of the price?
Thanks.

I saw the stuff you need in Decwell's DIY in George's Street, Dublin 2.

I believe it does a good job, but is messy and labour intensive.

I think the pack was about €30 a couple of weeks ago.

I believe there are also firms you can get who will do it by grinding the surface of the bath to remove stains etc, and then spraying fresh enamel on. I'm sure that results in a more professional finish - no doubt at a significant cost though!

geri said:
I have an enamel bath in my bathroom that is discoloured. I would rather get it re-enameld that buy a new bath. Has anyone had this done? Is it effective? Any idea of the price?
Thanks.
Hi Geri,
My Mam and Dad got there bath re-enamelled a few years ago buy some cowboy company here in Dublin. The guy took days doing it. When my dad looked into the bathroom after a few hours of him being in the house all he had done was put masking tape around the bath. When the job was eventually finished, it was awful. It chipped in places after a few weeks and their old green bath colour was visible. My sister had to phone them repeatedly to come back and fix up their crap job. My folks were disappointed and tried of the whole thing. I think they had wished they had just replaced it in the end.
Now is saying all that , I can not remember the company's name. :( I will find out, as I have a belfast sink I want re-enamelled. I am sure if you got a decent company to do it, the end product would be fine.

We had a stained bath re-enameled several years ago by a well known company. It looked great and we were happy with it for about a year, then it started to peel off in bits - until it has pretty much reverted to the original state. We are going to buy a new bath now.....

Hi geri,

We've had one recommendation at the end of this post for bath resurfacing. I think the company mentioned are based in Walkinstown/Crumlin.

Got a company called Renu Bath to re-enamel ours a year ago and was pleased with the result. They do it in situ, it takes a few hours and costs a couple of hundred euro. You can't use the bath for a few days afterwards. How long the job lasts depends seems to depend on how bad the bath was to begin with. Ours was in bits and so far, so good.

geri said:
Thanks.

There is such a choice of new baths at competitive prices that you might be better off to buy one. We need ours replaced and if the renu process only lasts a year or two it seems hardly worth it in the long run.

I Have An Old Belfast Sink In Perfect Condition ,interested In Buying? Its Much Older Than 40 Years A Square Type With 2 Soap Holders

Back