Re-Do Garden

tabby

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding re-doing the Garden, wonderin if someone could help me?

We have moved in last November and unfortunately coz of many things happening same couldnt spend time on Garden.

Grass was over-grown (4 -5 feet) and in the last week of May trimmed it down. Now Garden looks a little bit lumpy, loadza stones (small stones only. No rocks!!!). Grass is very un-even - not gettin that look...!

Wondering if its a good idea to Re-Do the Garden? If yes, is this a good time to pull the existing grass out and sow seeds?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
T.

Good idea would be to spray the grass area with round up and that will kill off the grass and most weeds in it . takes about 2 weeks for it to work as it works by entering the sap stream and killing all parts roots and all.
Be carefull to follow instructions with regards to the amount to use to water ratio ( do not overdose) Wear proper wellies and safety gloves and gear for spraying and be carefull not to use in windy weather and for overspray on to yourself, others, and shrub beds and your nieghbours garden. Area is safe to walk on etc after few hours.
When your existing grass turns brown, just leave till end of september then rotavate the area, rake and roll then spread new seed, and water during any prolonged dry spell till it has germinated and established.
It would not be a good idea to spread new seed now if it is a large area as it will need constant watering during the summer heatwave we are due

I have weeds I would like to eliminate but I also have some trees and pyracanthia bushes I want to keep around the edges. I plan to eventually extend my patio this summer but leave the trees and a few bushes.

Is there anything I can spray on the grass/weeds which wont harm/kill the trees and pyracanthia but which will make preparing the ground for the eventual new patio a lot easier by eliminating weeds which tend to pop up every time I take a day off from digging?

Gosh that a long sentence ! Basically can I tame weeds until I'm finished preparing the ground the for patio without harming my trees and bushes ?

Round up will only kill grass/weeds/ broadleaved plants that are actively growing so if its a case of weeds shooting up out of previously dug over soil, then your problem is that the roots of perenniel weeds are still in the soil.
What you could do is pull up what everones you can ensuring to pull up the whole root. and then spray the soil with something like simazine which prevents anything from growing in the soil for around 12 months. After spraying then just cover the area up with black plastic sheeting or something like Mypex, which will futher aid the growth of any weeds untill your ready to build the patio.
Make sure you screen of your shrub beds with pastic or something similar when spraying whatever herbicide you use, so that it does not come in contact with your shrubs.