RE: Bathroom Tiling

J

jinksy

I've installed a new bath in my bathroom but when i bought it we didnt buy a side piece instead i made up a frame around two sides of the bath and screwed sterling board on to the frame, leaving a recess for tiles so that they finish flush with the edge of the bath.

Thing is no matter what type of adhesive im using ( Bathroom & Shower etc) they keep falling away after a few days, anyone know what im doing wrong?

What is sterling board?? I did the same in our, put marine ply screwed onto a frame on the front and tiled up the front, no issue.
Except I used a pva bonding on it first. that is probably your issue

Or are the side panels flexing everytime someone uses the bath. The tiles would keep popping off if the panels are constantly moving. Is there any way of providing any sort of leeway between the frame and the panels so that the bath can move when water is put in , but the panels won't.

I would imagine you would need a very flexible adhesive to withsatnd the movement associated with what you are doing. Check out some of the Unibond/Durabond/Evo-Stik flexible ready mixed products. Alternatively you could take a powder adhesive and add an admixture - expensive but generally better
Check out
www.ardex.co.uk
www.mapei.co.uk

One thing to remember is that the substrate you are fixing to must be fixed properly to the frame ie 4-5cm centres.

S.B.

Back