RCBO for shower in New Build

kkontour

Hello,
I am buying a new build house and noticed that there is no RCBO on the electric shower. There is an MCB on the shower and an RCD on the fuseboard but I thought there should be an RCBO.
Any electrician know it this is OK.
Thanks
KK

The shower circuit must be protected by an RCD, either a combined RCBO unit or a separate RCD.
If the RCD on the consumer unit is a 63amp one than it would be ok to feed the shower through it.
If you have a 40amp RCD then it's a no-no.

You should also be satisfied that there is at least one other RCD on the board, for socket circuit protection.

It is on an RCD in the consumer unit. Dont know the rating, but I, sure its OK.
Is the Main fuse on the CU rated at 63Amp? If so is there a chance it would trip/blow before the 63Amp RCD?
Tks
KK

The main 63A is for circuit protection/cable protection only. The RCD is solely to reduce the risk of electric shock.

On the Consumer unit is a couple of MCB's for scokets, Lights, cooker, shower, emmersion and Boiler. There is one RCD.
Are you saying I should have an RCD for sockets AND an RCD/MCB or RCBO for the Shower?
Because I only see 1 RCD on the board.
Thanks
KK

Yes. The shower circuit should have it's own RCD (or RCBO) and sockets should have a minimum of one RCD or all RCBO's.

As bad practice, your shower may be running on the socket RCD.
At a risk to life practice, either the shower or sockets does not have an RCD.

Hope it helps.

There should be either
a) an RCBO for the shower (recommended)
or
b) a separate MCB and RCD for the shower

There should also be an RCD for the sockets and immersion.
If you have only one RCD on the board then it's definitely wrong.

I looked at the Consumer unit last night. The shower is on a 40A MCB and is sharing the RCD with the sockets. Is this OK?
Tks
KK

Bottom line is by Irish standards it is not compliant. If the property has a permanent ESB connection, they have received a cert saying the installation is compliant.
Let the builder know and give him an oppurtunity to have it rectified, on the basis that your next port of call is the ESB.