RCA & SCART extenders and faceplates

Lucret

Hi,

If I want to put my plasma TV over the fireplace what is the best way to get the scart lead / RCA connection up there from a ground level skybox. This is a new build so I can hide the cables. What could be used for a connection to a ceiling mounted projector?

Ideally you want to have some kind of trunking with a removable cover as no doubt over time you'll want to upgrade or add new connections. Does your current plasma have a HDMI connection? If/when you go HD, you'll need one.

Neat solution would be to chase this into the chimney breast, with the removable cover to the side of the breast (I'm assuming there is one?). With a large enough channel, you could re-plaster to the front of the chimney breast over the fire, and just thread the leads through from the side to an exit behind the screen. Big enough job though with complications of weakening the structure.

On another note, do you use the fire much? The heat isn't going to do a plasma any favours...
Leo

Hi

I recently put a LCD Screen above the fireplace. I have a 2m monster gold plated scart lead that is channeled from the centre of the chimney breast to the side where I have the scart connected to a intelligent scart switch which allows me to connect four devices to the one scart lead. Unfortunately if and when the scart cable does get damaged, I'm up a creek without a paddle, I'll be pulling it out of the wall so I'd definitely recommend going with Leo's Idea for the removable cover.

With regard to the automatic scart switch I would recommend the one form Argos, it's only 39.99, a little gem and well worth it, saves on changing cables or a number of units where you have to manually select av channels. I tried other places for this scart switch namely Peats who told me no such box existed to which I walked around the corner and both one so much for them being the world of electronics!!

You should try EBay for quality ones. Got a pair of IXOS 601's there for €75, would have cost €132 in Peats for the same thing.
Leo

Back