Raw meat in pub lunch

elefantfresh

This is gas - was in a pub on Friday for lunch and ordered the homemade burger with pepper sauce and chips. Arrived out and i got stuck in. After i got through the sauce and saw the burger i noticed that it was quite raw in the middle. If it was a steak i might not have worried so much but i pointed this out to a colleague who had the same and we both agreed that this was not going to be eaten. I called the lounge girl over but she didnt really speak the lingo and mentioned something about the "spices". So she came back with the manager who proceded to go on about the "spices" also. I said, whatever about the spices, this burger is raw and i showed him the inside of the burger. He said "the butcher dyes the meat pink" !!!! Thats word for word what he said. I've never heard anything like that before, which i told him and i also told him that whether its been dyed pink or not, i'm not eating it cos its not cooked. At this point he got all stroppy with me! So i told him i wasnt paying for it either.
Anyone ever heard anything like that??

The "spices/dye" story might hold up if the meat was red due to say, tomato relish/puree or the like in the mix, as opposed to it being raw. But if you say it was raw then I take it that it actually was and the explanation was bogus?

It was defo raw Clubman - no way on earth was i eating it. I just thought it was a comical response from the manager. That he actually thought i was going to believe that.
Funny enough, 5 of us were there the previous Friday and the bill came to 56e. Nothing we had was over 10e so we called the manager to query it and he said that it was correct. I told him that there were only 5 of us and 5x10 = 50. He corrected the bill and never even apologised.
I'm done with that place now for sure. Even a "sorry 'bout that" would have done.
And no, it wasn't hot - the pepper sauce was though.

fair dues to you for complaining, not enough people do it, explaination was 'gas', as if. I got rawish burger one time, complained, came back burnt, no appologies, lost my appetite, images of burger being spat upon, refused to pay.

If the burgers are made there and then from mince meat you could eat them medium. If they are bought in ready made burgers and are medium to raw in the middle I would run a mile. Without naming the pub could you give us a location area?

They were "homemade" type burgers - the meat may well have been good and fine but just not worth the risk in my opinion.
It's in D8. I really dont want to say who they are although i've been telling anyone who would listen since!!

ring the environmental health office as this place should be checked out. not on.

A few things:

Heard this story before about butchers (I think more in days of old) putting the cheaper mince and fat into water so that the red colour (blood) runs through into the fat.

Its far better to mince your own steak and that way you are sure not to get much fat. Round mince (round steak used) from the butchers is good also from the more reputable ones.

IMHO burger, especially the homemade type, should be quite thin because it takes a long time for them to cook right through otherwise. [broken link removed]

"Consumers can prevent E. coli O157:H7 infection by thoroughly cooking ground beef".

If the burgers are made there and then from mince meat you could eat them medium. If they are bought in ready made burgers and are medium to raw in the middle I would run a mile. Without naming the pub could you give us a location area?

This isn't true is it? I have always understood that you must cook minced meat through to avoid e-coli?

edit: Duh, just thought of the number of times I have eaten steak tartar, obviously it must be safe to eat medium-cooked minced meat that has been prepared on the premises.

Haven lived in France for the past few year I can attest that you have a pretty good chance of not getting sick after eaten semi raw burgers. As a rule I hate them and will not touch them, but I work in a company of 1200 people most who eat in the canteen. And every day they serve semi raw burgers and I have never heard of an ecoli outbreak in my 4 years there. I'm sure it's possible but the chances are low IMHO

Whatever about an adult's system being able to cope with and recover from e-coli, children under 6 cannot. Their digestive system has not developed enough to fight off the bug.

edit: Duh, just thought of the number of times I have eaten steak tartar, obviously it must be safe to eat medium-cooked minced meat that has been prepared on the premises.
Steak Tartar is completely raw isn't it?

I read recently that bacteria, if present, are found on the surface of meat. As long as the surface of the meat is well cooked, it is fine to eat a steak rare. The problem is when the meat is minced and the bacteria is mixed to the centre of the burger. If the centre is not completely cooked, the bacteria will survive..

I thought the reason why (certain) burgers should be cooked through is that they often contain ingredients other than beef, e.g. egg?

I always order bugers rare when I can get them.

There was a certain (high end) restaurant in Dublin that used to ask customers to sign a disclaimer if they wanted their burgers rare. Now they will refuse to serve them rare.

I doubt that a restaurant can disclaim responsibility for problems (e.g. food poisoning) that may arise from such a situation no matter what a customer signs!

Back