Rats in house - health issues?

M

mackermack

We recently got a pest controler to eliminate rats from our house. They may have been breeding under the hot press. It looks like they never went into the attic or into any area of the house except under the floor boards of the first floor (probably accessed from the wall). They are now gone, and my question is - is there anything else that I should do now? What can be done in this very inaccessible area to treat any waste products etc? Has anyone any experience of this? Is there any agency I could seek advice from?

Your pest controller should either have advised you on how the rats were entering or made an effort to block the access. Rats will return if the access is still available to them. I believe that sealing up holes with silicon sealant is a good way to deter them as a pest controller once told me they hate the texture of the sealant and don't tend to try to chew through it.

I would speak to the pest control firm you called out. They may charge again but maybe it's worth it for the peace of mind. Rats are one of the worst creatures to have in the house because they are prolific, very dirty, cause terrible damage and make a lot of noise.

Environmental health officers will give you advice about rats if you ask them but they won't come and do treatments in your house.

As far as health effects go, if no one is sick in the house it should be okay. The rats weren't sharing the living space with you and were in an inaccessible place, so at least they weren'r running around the kitchen or anything. Keep your eyes peeled for any evidence of rats appearing again - or mice as they might be present where rats aren't.

It's an awful feeling to think that your home's being invaded like this, but its only in recent decades that we have gotten used to living without some sort of vermin in the house.

The only way to stop rats entering through a hole is fill it with concrete that is mixed up with broken glass.Anything else they will just chew it.Friend had them and this was the only thing that worked
Hate them:eek:

Google rat zapper and look at these gadgets. They look really good. I'm thinking of ordering a couple. Somebody who had used them posted on here some time back and was very pleased. They electrocute the rats and mice.

Back