Ratoath as a place to live? What estates?

• Thread starter cillchainigh
  • Start date
C

cillchainigh

Hi All

My wife and I are currently considering moving to Ratoath (renting initially with a view to buying, if we like it) and would really appreciate some local opinions on the village. What's it like as a place to live, how are local facilities (sporting, social etc), how are schools, would you recommend it as a place to live etc?!!

If so, what estates would you recommend we consider? We're hoping to rent a 3/4-bed (as opposed to an apartment).... We've taken a drive around and liked parts of the Steeplechase development, Meadowbank and Fox Lodge Woods; but would appreciate any comments people have!!

We both work in Dublin - I'm at Spencer Dock, so the train from M3 Parkway is ideal. As a matter of interest, how is traffic on the Fairyhouse Road? My wife's a midwife in the Coombe, so her hours are either side of peak times. I'm assuming 30-40 mins is the likely trip (starting at 7.30am, finishing at 8.30pm)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed

Don't know much about ratoath apart from it got Massively overdeveloped few years ago swamping the village. Would dunboyne not be a nicer spot?

Ratoath is a lovely spot, I grew up in Ashbourne but my sister lives in Ratoath now and it has good amenities, nice schools incl secondary schools. For supermarkets / banks / shops it would not be as developed as Ashbourne but since it is only 5 mins away then you could go to Aldi / Lidl/ Tesco / Dunnes in Ashbourne, not walking distance from Ratoath but very near. I don't know about traffic I'm afraid. Those estates are all lovely.

I have lived in Ratoath for 11 years and love it. It has plenty of schools, activities etc. There was a lot of building in the 1990's but they're all attractive estates with landscaping etc. The houses would mostly be a much bigger size than Dublin. I would say that most residents moved out from Dublin with a lot commuting. The quickest way to commute is via the M2 and Finglas though the new layout of roads at M50/Blanch will probably improve the commute on the N3.there are frequent buses in the early am and the journey takes 40 mins max. Off peak car journey is about 30-40 mins. There are midwives from the Coombe living here so tell your wife to ask around.

The best estates in my opinion are The Old Mill, Fairyhouse Lodge, Clonkeen and Steeplechase although it's very big.
Feel free to pm for further info

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated!

If anyone has anything else to add, please shout ;-)