Rathmines named best suburb to live in

The Irish Times allowed people to blog about all areas and locations around Ireland. Having read quite a few this is the best I read about part of a suburb here in lovely Cork.

[broken link removed]

(It isn't just Dublin based you know!!)

The Irish Times allowed people to blog about all areas and locations around Ireland. Having read quite a few this is the best I read about part of a suburb here in lovely Cork.

[broken link removed]

(It isn't just Dublin based you know!!)

No one said it was.

Firstly, I wouldn't really consider Rathmines a 'suburb'. It's really a large area of bedsits and flats sandwiched between the city and the suburbs. It has a very transient population and also some pretty rough areas.

How long is it since you were last there, liaconn?

It USED to be like that, but in recent years many of the houses have been re-converted to single-family residences. There are strong community organisations, including resident's associations which run various festivals and events. Between these, the churches, and the schools (which have expanded in the last 10-15 years), there's a very neighbourly feel to the place. Of course there are also a lot of young people and students (mainly living in apartments rather than bedsits these days!) who keep the pubs and clubs busy in the evenings. Rathmines has a lot of facilities - sports and leisure centre, shopping centre, library, cinema, 3 supermarkets, hardware shop, etc etc. AND it's walkable from town. I only wish I could have afforded to buy there!

I just heard Westport was the overall winner. Fair play its a nice place. I wonder was Enda involved at all in the voting process..................

I'm there quite regularly and know people who live in and around the area. I agree that the Dartry/Rathgar end of Rathmines has become more residential. But the main part of Rathmines around Leinster Road, Grove Park and of course the main street itself is still very flat landy and run down. I got the impression from the Irish Times that this was the area they were talking about as the specifically mentioned the wonderful shopping on the High Street which I really don't think is the case. The shopping in Rathmines is very limited.
I agree that the leisure centre and the cinema are good additions but overall I still would not consider Rathmines to be a 'suburb'. I also think you will find that the majority of the children in the local schools do not actually come from Rathmines but from surrounding areas. That was certainly the case when I went to school in Rathmines.

I just heard Westport was the overall winner. Fair play its a nice place. I wonder was Enda involved at all in the voting process..................

He's a Castlebar man, Enda wouldn't push for Westport

Michael Ring is the man from Westport
Who just happens to be Minister of State for Tourism and Sport
I call shenanigans