Rathangan or Kilmessan? Dublin commuter belt

cian

Hi all, Would really appreciate advice. Needless to mention , given locations mentioned, i'm being pushed into Dublin commuter belt ( actually further south of belt, commuters socks really.....) . Am stuck on whether to chose a mid tce house in Kilmessan Co Meath or a larger ( and 20k cheaper) semi d in rathangan kildare . Don't know much about either place. MY commute is to lucan area. HELP.......

Re: Rathangan or Kilmessan URGENT

Hi Cian,

Welcome to AAM.

You don't mention how you propose to commute - car, motorbike ?

I can't give you any advice on the commute myself other than to say that some colleagues who travel from Meath every day have to leave their houses at 6.30 a.m. approx. which seems heavy goin'.

If I had the option of semi-d rather than mid-terrace I would certainly go for the semi-d because of resale value and also the noise element.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Re: Rathangan or Kilmessan?

Hi Cian,

Welcome to AAM. I hope you won't mind me trimming the 'shouting' bit from your title?

Re: Rathangan or Kilmessan?

Don't know Kilmessin at all, but Rathangen seems a long way to commute........The latest you would be leaving home is 6.30 (although this would get you into work for about 8) Leave it any later & you would be stuck in traffic all morning..............
I would suggest that you go look at both towns.......see if they are the type of place that you would like to live, rather than just the only places you can afford.
Personally would not recommend commuting - I have been for the past 2 years & its a nightmare......I am currently looking for a new job.
good luck

Rathangan is only a short drive to the train station in Kildare (10 mins) from there you'll be less than an hour to the city centre. Not a bad town from what ive seen

Anyone know the quickest route to Rathangan coming from Red Cow/Newlands Cross - from what i understand you take the naas road, on to the N7, merge with M7 and then take the newbridge turn off...and its a drive from here. Anyone know how many miles it is from Dublin? I did a search on AA Route Finder but it didnt give me a direct route, gave me a roundabout way thru several towns. ended up being close to 40 this way.

I would get to Rathangan by going through Kildare Town which is 51km from Dublin City Centre, motorway, dual-carriage way the whole way. Turn off here and Rathangan is another 10km.

I don't what it is in miles (miles are a bit 1980's anyway aren't they?)

Kilmessan is a beautiful little village sandwiched between the historic town of Trim in Co. Meath and the Hill of Tara. It is certainly a desirable postal address in Co. Meath and has won the village section of the tidy Towns competition many times in the last few years.

Knowing both areas very well, the commute to Dublin would certainly be less stress from here than the commute from Rathangan. Also take into account the fact that the new M3 motorway will pass within a few miles of the village and also the the old Dublin - Navan train line actually passes through the village (it is proposed that this be reopened).

Back