Rates for child care

WEAQ

we are currently looking for a childminder to mind our 3 children in our own home.What are the current rates for this ?we would expect her to pick up one child from school.this would be a 2on one week and 3 on the next.

What would the hours be on each of the days?
What distance is it to the school? Would she need a car for this? will she have to put two in car seats to being them to collect the third?
How old are the children?
Will the days be the same each week eg Mon/Tues week one and Wed - Fri week two or do they change all the time?

If you do decide to go with care in your own home then technically you should be aware that you become an employer, with all the requirements of PRSI/ levies. The revenue's own website has good information on it.
In the childminders home, and they are self employed. When I looked into this it was almost working out as expensive as a creche.

Can depend on your home/ their home, county, hours and qualifications/ expectations.

As micheller has pointed out, if the person works in your home, you need to register as an employer and you will also need to pay at least minimum wage, deduct tax and USC (free payroll software available online) and do monthly/four-monthly returns for PAYE/PRSI/USC and have the added cost of employer PRSI. However, with three children, this could still work out at a better rate than a childminder or creche so it warrants looking into.

We have only one child. He is in the creche 2 days a week and minded by a childminder 2 days a week. Childminder is €100 more expensive per month than the creche plus the days she is in we have to provide food for her and our son, the house needs to be heated during the day, etc. all which add to the cost. (when he is in the creche, our son gets fed there). Our creche also runs afterschool programme and I am guessing that a lot of others do too.

To be honest, I personally would always chose a creche / afterschool rather than a child minder for a multitude of reasons, cost being one of them. I can't just get rid of ours for some very complicated reasons I don't want to go into but she is deffinitely not worth €40 per day she receives.

Back