Rate charged by booking company incorrect as per hotel owner

ngwrbc

Hi, has anyone had this issue and how was it resolved.

I did a search for hotels in London and found what looked like deal of the year through one of the biggest online hotel booking agencies, I spent ages trawling through terms and conditions and found none to contradict the rate being quoted for the hotel, so I booked two rooms and gave my credit card details as a reservation, no monies taken by the hotel booking site, full amount payable to hotel on departure, received my confirmation by email. Booked flights on the back of a cheap hotel booking.

I was contacted about 10 days later directly by the Hotel Owner to say that the rate quoted was incorrect and that the amount would be 80% more than I had made the reservation for, and did I still want the room.

I haven't cancelled anything yet as i've taken it up with the online booking site but they are just ignoring my calls, emails etc. I dont blame the hotel owner I suppose but should I be entitled to compensation for the difference from the booking site as it appears it was their mistake?

At the top of my head I would say the booking site is responsible for the error as you booked with them and not with the hotel directly.
I see it as if you physically go into a travel agency and book a hotel with them. If it afterwards turned out that they stated the incorrect price it is their problem. Same if you go shopping in the supermarket, as far as I know, the prices stated are the ones that count.
Sounds dodgy though that the booking site does not respond to your queries.
What site was it? Can you state it here?

Sounds dodgy though that the booking site does not respond to your queries.
What site was it? Can you state it here?

Am happy to quote the site but not sure if that's ok hence not quoted in original question.

Thanks for your reply tho, I thought the same that the booking site was responsible, will continue to phone and email them as obviously i've to book another hotel so that the flights dont go to waste!

...Same if you go shopping in the supermarket, as far as I know, the prices stated are the ones that count. ...
Whatever about the travel agency example, this one is not true. Supermarkets / shops may elect to sell at an incorrectly displayed low price, but legally they are under no obligation to do so.

It's hardly an invitation to treat though, is it? There is a confirmed booking, so I'd argue that the booking company or hotel is contractually obliged to provide that room at that price.

I had one bad experience with these online hotel booking companies - basically the booking was cancelled because my card was stolen after I booked. Not really their fault but I think they could have e-mailed me as I found myself in the lobby of the hotel in the US with no room booked. I produced the voucher that I had but the hotel said they genuinely had no record of a booking. I think the money had gone through also. Anyway the receptionist kindly offered to contact the company but soon found out they were based in Australia so time differences made it impossible to get info from them quickly (i.e leaving messages and getting called back) It all worked out in the end but the point of my story is that obviously I did not intentionally go through an aussie booking site - sometimes you are redirected and are booking without knowing it is a site based very far away! So I would make sure you have everything in order before you head over to whichever hotel and have a contact number of the booking site.

See www.consumerconnect.ie on mathepac's point about prices displayed in shops and the concept of "invitation to treat".

Thanks clubman, will check now.

The booking site is worldwide with a customer service department in USA & UK with a 1800 free phone number to use from Ireland so I totally assumed all was fine, have used them in the past with no problems.

Thanks for your replies tho, will update when I've a response from booking site.

Thanks for your replies tho, will update when I've a response from booking site.

Well update after many email's to and fro... the hotel / B&B loaded incorrect rates onto the booking system, the hotel point blank refused to honour the incorrect rates "they" loaded but were willing to offer me a £10 discount per night and that was their best and final offer.
The booking site in their T&C's are covered so the onus is on the acommodation provider.

Not going to bother with the fight for the sake of two nights accomodation and the fear of the Hotel putting me in a filthy attic room ... I'm going to just cancel as I want to enjoy my few days away rather than be hiding in fear from the hotel owner looking for his money!!

End of !!!